More wood leaving today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I just got a call from the family who is down on their luck. Someone had given them some other wood to help get them through the winter....but it won't burn. So, he asked if I could spare a little more wood and he said he'd try to mix it. So, there goes another stack out the driveway.

Problem is he won't be able to bring his trailer as I don't have the whole place cleared of snow and he can't back that trailer up worth a hoot. So our wood pile has went down a lot this year.

I hear a 2 cycle warming up.

No this is all stuff that has been cut about 4 or 5 years ago. Now he'll be able to keep warm. What he got from someone else was dead oak. Naturally, it is still full of moisture. Sometimes it takes a while for folks to learn what really dry wood is like and that oak takes much longer to dry.

Backwoods Savage said:
No this is all stuff that has been cut about 4 or 5 years ago. Now he'll be able to keep warm. What he got from someone else was dead oak. Naturally, it is still full of moisture. Sometimes it takes a while for folks to learn what really dry wood is like and that oak takes much longer to dry.

I was talking about you getting that supply back up to par may want to get the the hi octane gas and get ready for some sawing.

Jay, it appears my wood cutting is done for this winter. I really played stupid. Plowing snow and it is so deep that I was having to go faster than normal to avoid getting stopped. The second time through one area I was daydreaming (or sleeping) and forgot there was a root sticking out above ground. I was probably going about 12 mph or so with the atv but found out that root makes an excellent brake and I stopped immediately. End of plowing for the day too. Dang, I hurt. I have a terrible back and it doesn't take much but that was too much.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay, it appears my wood cutting is done for this winter. I really played stupid. Plowing snow and it is so deep that I was having to go faster than normal to avoid getting stopped. The second time through one area I was daydreaming (or sleeping) and forgot there was a root sticking out above ground. I was probably going about 12 mph or so with the atv but found out that root makes an excellent brake and I stopped immediately. End of plowing for the day too. Dang, I hurt. I have a terrible back and it doesn't take much but that was too much.

this snow has set me back as well I have at least 10 cords that needs split and another 10-12 cords that needs to be drop. Cant even move the trailer let alone fell trees.

Backwoods Savage said:
Dang, I hurt. I have a terrible back and it doesn't take much but that was too much.

Whoa Dennis - slow down my man. Let that back heal up a bit. From what I hear, you don't have to worry about next seasons wood anyways.

I hear you Jags. Thanks. I helped the man load his pickup with wood but he did most of it. I'm a bit slow today. I did push some more snow though and just came in from doing that. I even plowed the trails back in the woods for my wife's walking paths. Now I'll take it easy the rest of the day.

As for wood on hand I'll have to take some measurements but along with what little I cut this winter we for sure have enough for 5 more years and perhaps more, so I won't worry if I don't cut any more this year.

Backwoods Savage said:
Sorry to hear that Dennis. Hope you get back to normal soon!

quads said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Sorry to hear that Dennis. Hope you get back to normal soon!

+1
I've been hanging upside down, like a bat for mine almost everyday. It helps.
Like you I'm taking a few days off from lifting.
Give your back some rest, Olympics & Nascar next few days.

You are good people Dennis, helping those in need.

Take a break and heal up. Any bets on Daytona?

KC

Your alright in my book Dennis! Take it easy and heal up.
Sounds like you have a good 2 year buffer zone on keeping wood no less than 3 years seasoned! :)

Hareball, we've had up to a 7 year supply on hand. Not sure what we have right now but it is plenty. If we don't get rid of any more wood this year it will still be another year or more before we get to the 9 cords I cut last year.

bogydave said:
+1
I've been hanging upside down, like a bat for mine almost everyday. It helps.
Like you I'm taking a few days off from lifting.
Give your back some rest, Olympics & Nascar next few days.

Dave, I'd like to try that hanging upside down because I've spoke to several folks with bad backs who love the inversion tables. However, with a store-bought hip they tell me that I definitely should not do that lest I pull the thing out of the socket.

iskiatomic said:
You are good people Dennis, helping those in need.

Take a break and heal up. Any bets on Daytona?

KC

KC, I'll leave the betting to you. Actually it sounds like you might need some rest after skiing for a week.

Backwoods Savage said:
However, with a store-bought hip they tell me that I definitely should not do that lest I pull the thing out of the socket.

:gulp: No wonder he cuts like a machine - he's part robot. :gulp:

Status
Not open for further replies.