More Woodstock blog: Video and CUSTOM STOVE ART

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait to see it in action, we will have to see how many of these extra's make it to the production model. The air foil sounds good in theory but I would like to see it in person before I judge its value.

Did you see the video in the blog?

This is something that will be available on the new stove. As for the future of other stoves, Mr Morrissey is a great guy and comes up with some good ideas. He won't be resting for sure!

As for the slanted roof, etc., remember this stove is entered into some competition and I believe the competition folks are looking for ideas like this. So far from the reports I've received on the burning aspects of the stove has me a bit excited. This might turn out to be even better than I expected.
A slanted secondary baffle is in many other stoves. Has been for years. The "idea" has been borrowed from the likes of Morso, Jotul, Nestor Martin, Wittus, etc..

That is just a link to Woodstocks blog where the video is down the page. The videos isn't on this site.

http://blog.woodstove.com/2013/09/beta-testing-custom-stove-art-with-kopp.html

The video is at this link. Go there and scroll down to it.

http://blog.woodstove.com/2013/09/under-hood-5-secondary-combustion.html

EDIT: Sorry BB, I was thinking at the time about the video on the secondary burn. That is the one I had posted about earlier. You are correct about the video in the link you gave.

That is a strikingly beautiful design, Brian. Can't wait to see actual pics of it "in the flesh" so to speak. Great job!

Okay HollowHill, what do you think about this design? Tom did this one without our knowledge! This just shows more of the capabilities they have with their new equipment.

Dennis portrait.jpg

A slanted secondary baffle is in many other stoves. Has been for years. The "idea" has been borrowed from the likes of Morso, Jotul, Nestor Martin, Wittus, etc..

Sorry that I could perhaps have worded this a bit different. I am not about to attempt to blow away other manufacturers; that is not my intention at all. I was just trying to answer a question. The slanted is just one small part of the stove.

Dennis thanks for posting. I saw the burn video the other day.. That's going to be some stove.. Looking around I think Woodstock has created the first ever funnel flue collar, like flowing a set of heads for an engine.. Very clever.. Wonder if you'll see a funnel flue collar like that offered for their other stoves as an update? Automatic smoke shelf is pretty clever as well.. Plus you can disable it as well.. Like you said Dennis, this is going to be one very nice stove , and the best part reasonably priced.. Woodstock is really going to shine with this stove for function and affordability,, plus I don't know of another stove company that will customize a stove to your liking! If people are going to spend their hard earned money, they'll sure be happy to be able to get a stove personalized to their liking.. I think Woodstock just kick it up a notch with this stove!

Yes it will be a good one but I don't think the funnel idea is totally new, but a nice addition to this stove. Being able to personalize the stove no doubt will be a hit with many.

Yes it will be a good one but I don't think the funnel idea is totally new, but a nice addition to this stove. Being able to personalize the stove no doubt will be a hit with many.
I think the funnel flue collar will really shine during a slow burn as well , eliminating any sharp edges for the flue gases to get around.. Can't wait to see the cool idea's that some customers come up with for designs.. Well Dennis you know one thing, the certainly didn't just build another steel black box;lol.

Going to be interesting to see pricing when they get into production. Hopefully by the time Tom is in town for the decathlon they will have some info on that. Looking forward to meeting him and seeing the stove.

I hope they bring the Dennis model. A Judy model would make a prettier stove though...

Going to be interesting to see pricing when they get into production. Hopefully by the time Tom is in town for the decathlon they will have some info on that.

They're still shooting for keeping the new stove at or below $2000.

Amazing! That will be a big seller for getting a big firebox, custom designs, and clean burn technology.. I think there could be a waiting list in the near future for that price.. Nice that people can have the stove detailed to match whatever in their home decor... That was a great idea letting the customer design part of their own stove.. A stove with personal options!

For a small Ma&Pa type stove company,, I give Woodstock a lot of credit for coming out with two new stoves back to back! And both with cook tops! Shows they listen to their customers and are trying to get you the most from your stove..

Going to be interesting to see pricing when they get into production. Hopefully by the time Tom is in town for the decathlon they will have some info on that. Looking forward to meeting him and seeing the stove.

I hope they bring the Dennis model. A Judy model would make a prettier stove though...

I promised Tom that I would not post the one of Judy! ;lol

Great update today:

FDL+gold.jpg

Friday, September 27, 2013
Design Challenge Odds and Ends & Video

We haven’t posted much this week because we’ve been so busy! It’s getting cold and we have to take care of our customers (who all wait until the first frost to order stoves, ask for advice, or order parts).

We are scheduled to send our Design Challenge stove out for EPA testing at the end of next week, so we’ve been doing final tweaks to the combustion design and sending the stove through our internal testing regime most of this week - continuing into next week. We should have EPA test results around October 16-17, and will publish the results here. We expect quite good results.
There’s a short video below of part of today’s high burn test.

The picture below shows the test cutting of the Fleur-de-Lis for the Kopp family.

Trial cut for the Fleur-de-Lis

Trial cut painted gold
We also cut a detachable Fleur-de-Lis pattern that allows for easy changes of color, and future changes of design. You can see it below on one of our test stoves. A lot of our employees are designing their own stoves, and we’ll start posting some of those designs next week. We also hope some of our prospective beta testers will contact us with their ideas!

Detachable Fleur-de-Lis pattern on the end of the stove allows
for color changes and design changes. (pardon the obvious mismatching colors in this test stove)

[Go to the Woodstock blog entry to see the 4 minute video of the secondary burn in the test stove.]

We’re having fun with this stove! More to come next week. Have a pleasant weekend!

Last edited by a moderator:

The Progress was "given away" for about that in the beginning. I was amazed...I think they wanted to get enough of them out to perfect it, etc.

If it hadn't been so heavy, I'd have bought one and stored it in the shop for "later".

Very cool to see what they're doing to help personalize these stoves. I am really looking forward to seeing the real world results users start reporting with these stoves.

This new machine they have is going to provide lot's of opportunities for new "stove bling" for these and perhaps other Woodstock stoves.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Yes, 2400 price for early purchasers, to get lots into homes functioning in real life situations. Good move on Woodstock's part...they learned a lot quickly, with so many hours on the stoves in such varying settings. And now all those early stoves are getting full updates free of charge.
When I contacted Woodstock right after I installed my Progress stove this summer to ask about breakin fire advice, they informed me about new updates for my stove and immediately shipped them to me at no charge. They are great people who really put a high value on customer service.

The Progress was "given away" for about that in the beginning. I was amazed...I think they wanted to get enough of them out to perfect it, etc.

If it hadn't been so heavy, I'd have bought one and stored it in the shop for "later".

Not sure what the weight will be on this one yet but it is mostly steel vs other stoves mostly soapstone. Bigger than the Progress but this stove aims at a new market too. Hopefully the price will stay down and I think it will.

Reactions: Oldhippie
One problem they are up against is shipping cost. This is the same thing that Blaze King ran into before they established warehousing for national distribution. On the west cost Woodstock stoves cost hundreds more than local pickup or east coast shipping. That's partly why you see so few of them out west. $3200 + $500 (shipping guestimate) for a stove you can't touch and examine is above many folk's budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.