Morning temps and reload

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Load the stove after work at 5-6 pm, house warms up from 70 to 76. Go to bed at 10pm when house temp is 76. Wake up and house temp is 76. Don’t touch stove, it still has lots of fuel. Go to work, come home and fuel is mostly spent, house has cooled to 70.

That whole temperature cycle due to short burn times in a noncat is why I upgraded to a cat stove. Slow and steady wins the race.

View attachment 288230
Ah, the long BK burn. If I load after dinner still 70's in the morning, and I dont get up that early anymore.

Reactions: Highbeam
Big old farm house, 2400 Sq ft, not air tight by any means, non cat stove, temps average 30s high during day, teens low at night. Keep house around 70-72 during the day. Load up stove around 9-10pm. When I get up around 6am, house is 67, give or take a couple degrees.

My stove top temp is about 500-550 on low, I'll usually get 12 hours when I burn like that, when its gets real cold I burn a little hotter and my burn times go down. I have a hybrid though so the BK's may be different. Right now I'm at 450 and the house is still 72 but its 24 degrees out, will fill for overnight in a couple hours.
What stove do you have weatherguy?

Once the cold comes in I'll try to get my schedule to (2) loads a day, granted my fire box on the princess is in the 3cuft area and I also split big now, so I can get away with 6am loading when I first wake up and 6pm loading around suppertime, this yields a consistent temp of 68-70 in the upstairs part of my house which is perfect when its 20 out, maybe a hair lower if the winds are blowing off the swamp, but I'm still not complaining, had a epa secondary air tube stove, was more or less a slave to it with loading, then chasing the dragon with the rise and fall of stove top temps, maybe filling in the roll of intake air jockey.

Reactions: Highbeam
Load the king at 10pm house is 72, when I wake up at 5:30 the house is 72-73 go on about my day and reload at 10pm next night house is 70-71. 24+hr burn on not even a half firebox full.. outdoor temps at 30 daytime and night of 18 temp. Oh and STT for you on a low burn, average of 235*f in front of cat probe, outer edge of the top deck is 210, right above the door 200* side of doors 185* below the door 150 and my sides have shields but heat measurement is 110*. Hope that helps.