Morning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czech

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
<big yawn> So what's going on 'round these here parts?

Morning?

Well we have someone who is having auger running (specifically not turning) issues with a Baby Countryside.

I'm still behind times on getting my sweet cider.

Some folks have found birds and bird's nest in their vents and combustion blowers.

A number of folks are just getting back into the burning thing.

And what is going on out your way.

Reactions: Eatonpcat
All that, huh Smokey? Long summer I guess. All is up and running here, the Castile needs a little furnace cement in a leak around the pot, too much work to do the gasket for now. That stove got a new comb blower this year. The Baby is fine, didn't do anything to that one, swear I could burn dirt in that one. I' ll go look for the Baby thread, see what I can do. Hoping for cool temps, lots of snow, and good luck ice fishing.

Glad to see you are out of hibernation, Czech! Mine are ready to go down here in Georgia. No one thinks we need heat down here in the sunny South but little do they know. Next week the lows are predicted to be 44, so that's cold to us! Our weather has been crazy for the last two years so anything is possible.
How did you find the leak around your burn pot on the Castile, just out of curiosity and thirst for nonsense, oops, knowledge. :)

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Bout time you got up! ==c

Seems to be a lot of new members looking for stoves and pellets.
I imagine you will see more and more of that as the prices of everything keep going through the roof. I may be wrong but I think it is going to be a busy winter here on this forum

Glad to see you are out of hibernation, Czech! Mine are ready to go down here in Georgia. No one thinks we need heat down here in the sunny South but little do they know. Next week the lows are predicted to be 44, so that's cold to us! Our weather has been crazy for the last two years so anything is possible.
How did you find the leak around your burn pot on the Castile, just out of curiosity and thirst for nonsense, oops, knowledge. :)

I found mine a few years ago, because the ash was blown clean from an area in front of the pot.

I have since replaced the thin factory gasket, with a 5/8" flat/tape gasket (graphite impregnated) and put it on the bottom of the pot. Its 5/8" wide, so its a little wider than the factory lytherm and its just a little thicker (1/8") than the lytherm (1/16"). You wouldn't be able to tell by looking at my pot. But the nice thing, is like your door gasket or ash pan gasket, it can be used again and again. Unlike the one time use lytherm.

My 2 pennies...

Hey Czech. Glad to see you back. That fella really needs some help with that Baby Countryside. With the auger, board function, and also all 3 snap disc locations.

Dexter, talk to me, tell me about gasket tape and where to get please? Did they ever make the silicon stuff? I found the leak because on the way it was burning, and the fact that the furnace cement I put in there in a pinch one time was coming out. I think Colorado Ryan told me not to do that back a long time ago, but it lasted for a few years! Nice to see all you guys.

We are dealing with highs in the 80's here in Maryland. I'm ready for some true Fall weather although I'm sure it will be here soon enough.

Thanks for the tip. I'll be watching as I get into my third season of burning very shortly, although I may prolong it from what I learned last year with some experiments using my whole house electrical monitoring system. It pays to use the heat pump down to about 40 degrees and it's about break even from there down to freezing. Since last year, I also put a wood/coal burning cook stove/oven in the basement (ready for another 4 years of chaos) so I will get heat from that as well as some goood fooood!

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Dexter, talk to me, tell me about gasket tape and where to get please? Did they ever make the silicon stuff? I found the leak because on the way it was burning, and the fact that the furnace cement I put in there in a pinch one time was coming out. I think Colorado Ryan told me not to do that back a long time ago, but it lasted for a few years! Nice to see all you guys.

I think Dexter was referring to flat window gasket, one side frequently has an adhesive on it so it sticks to the glass and can be folded over the edge of the glass before the glass is inserted into the door. Look ma no need for many hands :p .

Yeah. It comes in Tape form (with adhesive) or just a 5/8" flat gasket, that comes with furnace cement or silicone to apply.

If you look at the gasket on your Baby Countrysides Ash pan, its that stuff. Wide and flat.

I bought the 5/8" Fkat amd siliconed it to the bottom. It was made by Meeco. But many people make flat or tape gaskets. Just make sure its at least 1/2" or 5/8" wide, so you get a good positive seal.

I also used the same 5/8" gasket to seal the burn pot on my 10-CPM. So many uses. Amd its life span is much longer than the one time use lytherm.

I am contemplating making one for the combustion blower gasket? If it was done right, cut right, and applied right, it could be used again and again? Still yet to do it? But have thought long and hard about it.

Czech,

Furnace and retort cement last a long time.

I don't know if that was the stuff you used or not. There are a number of different kinds of cement that get called furnace and gasket cement, some is better than others and they frequently don't work well in every application one might try them in.

So Dex, how does one apply a long flat strip to a round burn pot? I'm seeing crinks all the way around? Yep Smokey, the good stuff. I was more worried about getting it apart again rather than it failing. But fail it did. Funny how tuned we get to our stoves. I sat and watched the first fire after the fall maint a few weeks ago and said something aint right. Sure enough it was leaking, and that means less air through the pot as we all know. Almost time to cover the whole house fan for the year here, highs of 50's the rest of the week.

No.. Its a very flexible material. Just flip the pot upside down and lay a good bead of cement or silicone (whatever comes in the kit) and then lay out the gasket, cut end with a sharp razor and add a small dab to hold the ends together.

I wish I took a pic of the bottom. I dont want to take mine out.... BRB. Going to Garage.

1st pic shows how it bends easily (almost wants to go in a circle). 2nd pic shows its a little thicker than a lytherm gasket. But only by about 1/16".

I also added 2 more bolts to my burn pot. Only had 2 from Quad. Now has 4. I just put 2 self tapers in the holes that were already there. Just seemed to make sense. I know the Santa Fe/Castile pot is slightly different in appearance, so I dont know if you have the spot for 2 extra bolts. I figure even pressure all the way around is best :) Cant see the 4th bolt in the back, but its there.
(Click to enlarge)

2012-10-03_21-05-13_281.jpg 2012-10-03_21-05-35_559.jpg 2012-10-03_21-11-24_992.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.