Morso 2B Classic vs Jotul 118 Black Bear, Head to Head, which one burns hottest?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushman1

Mar 12, 2009
Northern Michigan
I am considering the new old school stoves and it almost seems that it is a even match. Jotul rates the 118 as an 1800' stove and the Morso 2B Classic only goes to 1200'. Maybe I have no business even considering either of these stoves but, I am hung up on the the looks of them. I have had an affair with coal stoves the past two winters and they were a pain in the arse. Now that I am looking at wood stoves again, I want to find something interesting to look at and a serious heater to boot. Any opinions on this matter would be appreciated.

Bushman

Just like with women, don't get too hung up on the looks - it's the heat that really matters. Though deeper stoves hold the promise of higher efficiency, the extreme long/skinny geometry isn't really an optimum one, all things considered. I don't see either to be a "serious" i.e. 24/7 heater. Their firebox size is too small.

Tell us about the space you're wanting to heat with them; size, insulation, layout, etc.

I own/use the 118CB newer model with glass front, my brother owns the older model, no glass front. both good heaters. takes a 24 inch stick of wood. new model has a secondary combustion tube high in the fire box. you can see a bluish flame burning the volatile gases. nice heater for a large room or small house. I can keep a fire for up to 7 hours in it. sweetheat

Status
Not open for further replies.