Morso 5660 Insert Without the Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Good Wood

Sep 12, 2023
New York State
Hey everyone,

I am strongly considering having the 5660 installed in my home, but I'm trying to decide if I need the blower or not.

I live in the Hudson Valley in NY State, my house is one story, and about 1700 sqft.

There isn't much I have been able to find on the performance of this insert, with or without the blower. I'm hoping to make this my primary heat source.

Please help!

If the goal is to just have a nice ambience fire, then the blower is not necessary. If the goal is to heat with it, then a blower is a necessity.

I have had the 5660 installed in my Portland, Oregon bungalow for about 10 years. I do not have the blower, and on most except the coldest days, this insert can heat my first floor (about 1500 sq feet)! Our winters are not as cold here, but I I have been very happy with the heat that radiates without the blower. I avoided the blower so there would be one less thing to repair. Best of luck. PS: The Morso insert is my favorite part of my house!

Thanks for the update. It sounds like this home is decently sealed and insulated. Some owners in the past have complained about weak heat output without the blower. They may have been in a colder climate than Portland. If you get a chance could you add a quick review in the Ratings section?