Morso insert totally inadaquate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
My friend installed a morso insert without a blower. It is not adequately heating even one room. Do any inserts without fans work?

I'd say that mine is about useless without the blower running.

I've never burned an insert, but don't most of them pretty much require a blower to get heat out effectively?

That insert is also flush to the wall which doesn't help.
My old insert, a quad 2100 (discontinued), rested more on the hearth and provided a fair amount of heat without a fan.
The new insert, a quad 2700, is flush; it managed to heat up the place some during a power outage, but it definately needs a fan.
I read than manual for the Morso and can't believe it doesn't at least make an optional blower.

Edit: I did a google search and found several seller sites that said a fan was optional. I find it hard to believe the mfr literature wouldn't mention it however.
Quote:

"If you're looking for a fireplace insert, Morsø provides a number of cast-iron inserts that deliver all the benefits of a wood stove in your home. The Morsø 1710 Insert is made completely of cast-iron, unlike some inserts which are partly constructed of steel, and uses natural convection and an optional fan to provide good heat circulation in your room."

1 - How many square feet is he trying to heat? That thing has a small firebox.

2 - What kind of wood is he burning and is he burning correctly?

3 - That is listed as a convective stove and is designed for 1300 sq ft max. I assume your friend did not do his/her homework prior to buying the stove. I think you could still get some good heat out of it with good wood and burning the thing nice and hot.

We had this discussion last year. I also thought the Morso did not have a blower option and was incorrect, it does. IIRC, initial reports are that with the blower, this insert heats well.

There are some inserts that work better without a fan than others. Usually they project into the room a bit. The Regency H2100 is an example. From what I'm told, the Avalon Rainier does fairly well for a friend that has one in their finished basement.

Be green, This is a 1710. Your saying you have cofimed it has a blower option?

Mine (HI300) does to some degree. It sticks out onto the hearth and has a cast surround. This, in addition to the brick hearth, adds radiant heat more so than the flush faced inserts. If I am trying to produce a lot of heat, yes, the blower is required. If the room is up to temp, I may turn the blower off and just rely on the radiant heat.

gzecc said:
Be green, This is a 1710. Your saying you have cofimed it has a blower option?

No, if I remember right I think it was the bigger model 5660.

Where is the chimney, and how big is the flue? An unlined, exterior chimney with a big flue and no blockoff will be trouble, fan or not.

Branchburner, I agree, I don't believe there is a blockoff plate. I asked the same question.

How about the liner - is it insulated? And is the chimney on an outside wall?

Yes the chimney is outer wall, not very tall, very large, I think the flue is insulated (not sure). The dealer should have known this, and should not have installed it and taken his $. He now looks at it as a total loss.

He says there is no block off plate although there is a 1' of fiberglass insulation. Would that do the same thing as a metal plate?

Fiberglass may help, but will not stop airflow the way a solid plate will.
Check into the flue some more and let us know the whole story. If insert was installed without liner insulation (or without any liner?) into an oversized ceramic tile, that needs to be fixed. Not only is he losing heat, he may not be getting optimal draft. Fix that, he can heat the room. Then get a blower, he can heat the house.

Branch, how does he get a blower. That stove doesn't have one.

Well, I email Morso, and got this really quick response:

(excerpt):

"I’m sorry, but there is no fan kit option for the 1710 insert.  However, we do have a fan kit option on our 5660 insert.

Thank you!

Best Regards,"

gzecc said:
Branch, how does he get a blower. That stove doesn't have one.

Good question - hard to believe someone makes an insert without a blower option.
Okay, so he can heat the room. Not a total loss. (Grrrrr...)
I guess I'd go back to the dealer and/or Morso and ask them to explain exactly how a convective heater works without airflow.

It would be helpful to know whether there is an installation issue or not. Fiberglass stuffed in the chimney is not correct.

I'm also wondering about how hot the stove has been burning. Factors that could affect this are: poorly seasoned wood, poorly installed baffle, user running the stove too cool. Is there a thermometer on the face of the stove? Was the friend been keeping track of the temps the stove ran at? Are they having heating issues when it is 32 outside or is this more of an issue when it's in the teens and lower?

Then there is the possibility that the stove is seriously undersized for the task. It's a small stove. For that question we'd need to know more about the house size, room size, insulation, etc..

I understand all the variables. I will look more closely at it next time I am there.

most inserts are fairly useless for 24/7 home heating w/ out the fan unit.

gzecc said:
My friend installed a morso insert without a blower. It is not adequately heating even one room. Do any inserts without fans work?

My parents have been heating their house with a blowerless insert for 20+ years. Their hearth is mid house which makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.