Most affordable cast iron stove? Most affordable stone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericj

Hearth Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Iowa
I'm learning about stoves, cast iron seems to be about twice the cost of steel.

My first question: Who makes the most affordable cast iron stove?

And my second question: Does anyone make an affordable soapstone covered stove? (This is probably wishful thinking. Anytime that you cover a stove with stone it will be expensive.) Thanks!

First of all...Soapstone stoves aren't covered with Soapstone...they are made of it...with cast iron splines and trim. And no...they don't come very cheap...because
they are not cheap, but well made beautiful works of technology and art. You get what you pay for, just like anything else.

I'm pretty sure that Napoleon and US Stoves both make affordable cast iron stoves and there are probably several others. Napoleon makes a soapstone top inset for theirs as well, which won't be the same as a soapstone stove, but may give you a little of the effect you are looking for! (for about an additional $100 over the price of the stove)

ericj said:
And my second question: Does anyone make an affordable soapstone covered stove? (This is probably wishful thinking. Anytime that you cover a stove with stone it will be expensive.) Thanks!

What do you consider affordable? Woodstock is still offering $600 off their stoves and with the fed tax credit you could buy one for $1400-$1500. A similar sized Hearthstone will be a few hundred dollars more. If money is tight you might be better off with a cheaper brand but a more expensive stove you like the looks of better will still pay for itself, just may take a little longer.

True, guess you can't go wrong with those deals if you are into soapstone (get it this year if you are expecting the tax refund though!)
They sell through their own website and have many devotees here.
http://www.woodstove.com/index.php/sale

Rose, that's an excellent deal for that stove. Bet you'll love it. What species wood do you have over there?

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
It's a mix of steel and cast iron- enough cast iron to make it sturdy and enough steel to make it cheap. I couldn't turn it down!

~Rose

All steel, no?

Yes, I think so. But still an interesting stove and very affordable.

Moses dropped and broke the tablet that contained "Thou shalt burn wood in a steel stove." and was afraid to fess up to it. There were actually fifteen commandments. One dealt with stove construction and one dealt with wood dryness.

The ones about farm animals were not a significant loss.

BeGreen said:

I thought that stove was originally going to be priced in the mid-9's. It's a steal in the 5's. Almost worth buying one and storing it. But that's just my incurable stove addiction talking... :)

BrotherBart said:
Moses dropped and broke the tablet that contained "Thou shalt burn wood in a steel stove." and was afraid to fess up to it. There were actually fifteen commandments. One dealt with stove construction and one dealt with wood dryness.

The ones about farm animals were not a significant loss.
:p

I think I remember (before I started shopping steel stoves) that Vermont Castings has a relatively inexpensive cast iron.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
I think I remember (before I started shopping steel stoves) that Vermont Castings has a relatively inexpensive cast iron.

Yes, the VC Aspen. A real dog. Count yourself lucky you didn't go that way!

precaud said:
BeGreen said:

I thought that stove was originally going to be priced in the mid-9's. It's a steal in the 5's. Almost worth buying one and storing it. But that's just my incurable stove addiction talking... :)

I hear you. I am itching to try one out too. Looks like one of the best values in the small stove market.

BeGreen said:
Looks like one of the best values in the small stove market.

Absolutely.

Sure would be nice if Corey made an appearance here every now and then...

Status
Not open for further replies.