Most reliable stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jtakeman said:
caledoniacars said:
I know its only rated for 2000 sq ft, but we do actually heat our whole home with it. Our propane furnace never runs. The basement is actually 1800 sq ft finished and 400 unfinished. The upstairs is a well insulated brick ranch with 10 ft ceilings. The farthest room on the main level isn't the warmest, because the heat doesn't seem to get pushed that far. Its very managable. We don't keep the house all that warm anyway. (68-70 on average) I realize we are probably maxing out the capacity, however we seldom run it past the 3rd setting. I would run it at 4 or 5 if the boss would keep the dam windows shut. I have gone from being a preferred every other month propane customer to about a once a year full up.

Sounds like you are doing just fine with it. If it works for you, Thats what matters.

I was looking at its sister stove US stove 6500. It a massive stove and overlooked it because I thought it would be to big for my application. Would have loved to have a stove I could duct the whole house to. Put the heat where I need it to go.

How easy is it to clean?

I also considered the 6500, but the minimum feed rate was too much for me. I'm sure it would throw more heat, but i figured it was overkill for my application. It is not the easiest to clean, but an ash vac helps. The rear cleanouts are hard to reach. The front panel could be redesigned so you could take only 1 panel off rather than 4. All in all its kinda of a dirty 1/2 hour job once a week. That's a small fee to pay rather than the propane truck every other month. It is a simple stove with a good size hopper. Not sure what other multifuel furnaces are out there, but i figure i have 1 more year with this one before its paid for itself. After that i will hopefully move the 6100 to the barn and upgrade the house furnace with something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.