What pellet stove brand?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Piney

Burning Hunk
Nov 29, 2015
Frozen North
Okay folks. The brother in law built a rancher here on our property. He heats it with an RSF energy fancy stove. Though we are off grid he sees we have wood stoves and pellet stoves in the big house.
He wants to put in a pellet unit. We have bargain brand pellet stoves. I told him to get a good one. But I don’t know what brand that might be.
Is there an accepted ‘good brand ‘ that I should point him at?
All he needs beyond that is a type that can operate in a ‘stay lit’ modulating mode as not having to repeatedly re-ignite as the temperature swings puts a lot less stress on the battery bank at night. Our cheap stoves burn low unless things chill down at which point they then burn hotter for a while - but they don’t go out. They COULD go on and off but we de- selected that option on purpose to conserve power and save wear and tear on the ignitor.
He can afford a pricey stove if need be. Reliability, parts availability and longevity matter.
Any thoughts?
Many thanks.

Okay folks. The brother in law built a rancher here on our property. He heats it with an RSF energy fancy stove. Though we are off grid he sees we have wood stoves and pellet stoves in the big house.
He wants to put in a pellet unit. We have bargain brand pellet stoves. I told him to get a good one. But I don’t know what brand that might be.
Is there an accepted ‘good brand ‘ that I should point him at?
All he needs beyond that is a type that can operate in a ‘stay lit’ modulating mode as not having to repeatedly re-ignite as the temperature swings puts a lot less stress on the battery bank at night. Our cheap stoves burn low unless things chill down at which point they then burn hotter for a while - but they don’t go out. They COULD go on and off but we de- selected that option on purpose to conserve power and save wear and tear on the ignitor.
He can afford a pricey stove if need be. Reliability, parts availability and longevity matter.
Any thoughts?
Many thanks.
Harman is considered the top of the line. Quadrafire is also a good stove along with Enviro. Harman and Quads owned by the same parent company.

Reactions: Washed-Up and Piney
Envrio and Harman are considered the best most reliable stoves made
I have 2 Envrio one is 22 years old and as good as new. The only thing replaced was a combustion Fan
The other is 14 years old, I bought it used and, not working. To repair it, I just reset the overheat switch
and it has heated my shop ever since.

Reactions: Piney
I run Harmon XXV (Non TC) with AIMS 1250 Inverter/Charger and 200ah of Batteries. I use it in "Manual" Mode for Igniter so it does not shut down and use electricity. Of course Surge Protester (Guy who Yells if it runs out of Pellets) 1st. Got it Spring of 2018. Only problem was some screws impacting Distro Fan and Buzzing. I scrap the burn pot daily and clean the glass. With Wet Paper Towel if cold, Newspaper if Hot. Use the tool along with Hook Tool from Harbor Freight. PITTSBURGH Mini Pick and Hook Set. Does the job quite well in our 2500ft House (Newport WA). Coldest was this year at -21f. Kept the house at 70f even then. I burned almost 3 tons of pellets most years. Less this year. (2.75t)

20200120_141747.jpg

63697_W3.jpg

IMG_20210119_064818105.jpg

Reactions: Piney
Fabulous information.
I’m an old bush fellah and think fisher stoves are voodoo they are so good.
Once the government sent a young lady school teacher here (25 years ago) and she thought my gray hair was ‘distinguished’. Now we are a family. I put in more solar because young folk need more electricity (cows don’t care) and now her city brother is here. He wants to buy smart. I can make my own wood stoves but pellets are weird. I bought what they had at the feed store but he wants to make sure he chooses wisely. I respect that.
I’m grateful for all the input. I had no idea what to tell him. Now I do.

I run Harmon XXV (Non TC) with AIMS 1250 Inverter/Charger and 200ah of Batteries. I use it in "Manual" Mode for Igniter so it does not shut down and use electricity. Of course Surge Protester (Guy who Yells if it runs out of Pellets) 1st. Got it Spring of 2018. Only problem was some screws impacting Distro Fan and Buzzing. I scrap the burn pot daily and clean the glass. With Wet Paper Towel if cold, Newspaper if Hot. Use the tool along with Hook Tool from Harbor Freight. PITTSBURGH Mini Pick and Hook Set. Does the job quite well in our 2500ft House (Newport WA). Coldest was this year at -21f. Kept the house at 70f even then. I burned almost 3 tons of pellets most years. Less this year. (2.75t)

View attachment 325689

View attachment 325690

View attachment 325691
Great info. I think isolating power for pellet stoves makes a big difference. Ranchers on mains power (they are at the end of a 100 mile long line) all up and down the government road here have all had their stoves fail. I think due to surges and brown outs. We are off grid but still use a fancy UPS thing my wife bought from the computer people that serve the Band school. Seems to work. We know brown outs come when big draw items kick in like pumps and stuff but the UPS has an avr that smooths it all out. So far so good.

Envrio and Harman are considered the best most reliable stoves made
I have 2 Envrio one is 22 years old and as good as new. The only thing replaced was a combustion Fan
The other is 14 years old, I bought it used and, not working. To repair it, I just reset the overheat switch
and it has heated my shop ever since.
Thank you.