Motor oil in the bar and chain oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Bought a junk saw to disassemble for fun - was leaking bar and chain oil, so open the cover and poured it into my container of bar and chain. On looking at the oil, seemed like it was motor oil instead of bar and chain. Any issue using the bar and chain oil now that it has motor oil mixed into it? Probably a quart of bar and chain with a half tank of motor oil mixed in from the saw. I assume it's not a problem - I've heard of some folks using motor oil in their saws. Just want to be sure before I fire up the saw tomorrow. Cheers!

I buy only Summer weight bar oil and thin it a bit for Winter using a multigrade motor oil. I don't see it as a problem.

When I worked for the FS, back in the late 70's, we had cases of Vietnam War surplus helicopter transmission oil the shop mechanic got some where. We used it for bar oil for many years with no problem. It had the viscosity of a modern 20w motor oil. So, I do not think motor oil would be a bad choice to lube the bar, but bar oil is probably a better choice.

NH_Wood said:
Bought a junk saw to disassemble for fun - was leaking bar and chain oil, so open the cover and poured it into my container of bar and chain. On looking at the oil, seemed like it was motor oil instead of bar and chain. Any issue using the bar and chain oil now that it has motor oil mixed into it? Probably a quart of bar and chain with a half tank of motor oil mixed in from the saw. I assume it's not a problem - I've heard of some folks using motor oil in their saws. Just want to be sure before I fire up the saw tomorrow. Cheers!

No

I would say it depens on the saw. Bar oil is alot stickier so it goes a bit farther as far as longevity in lubricating. If your saw has an adjustable meter then you can set it so you get plenty of oil. If it has an automatic meter then I'd keep an eye on it to make sure your getting enough oil. I have ran all types of oil for bar oil and never had an issue with it. Motor oil doesn't stick well and a good deal of it runs off the bar before it gets to the chain and can make a mess which looks like leaking oil.

Great - thanks guys. It is not too much motor oil mixed with the bar oil, so should be fine. Cheers!

NH_Wood, have you tried Canola Oil yet, it's been working great in the Stihl's.

zap

I've been using used motor oil for bar & chain oil for 20 yrs.Never had a problem.

zapny said:
NH_Wood, have you tried Canola Oil yet, it's been working great in the Stihl's.

zap

Zap - that's a first! No I haven't tried it - would it be a lot more expensive? Cheers!

I wouldnt worry bout it much. I've used waiste hyd. fluid from my tractor, used motor oil, transmision fluid, you name it. I have found that if I get a saw that has an oiler issue it helps to mix bar oil half and half with some kerosene or #1 fuel to get it unplugged. But then in my line of work I use a saw mostly for cutting out stumps, roots, rocks, and phone lines iffn they is in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.