Motor Oil Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChipTam

Burning Hunk
Last weekend, I went to the Firestone dealer for a quick oil change. When I got back home, I noticed that the invoice mentioned 5 quarts of "synthetic" motor oil. I hadn't asked for synthetic motor oil so I was surprised to see that's what they used. If my truck is down a quart before my next oil change (as it usually is) should I add synthetic or doesn't it matter?
ChipTam

I would use synthetic of the same weight. You may want to call them and just ask what oil they actually use.

How much was the oil change? If ti was a $20 special I'm sleptical on it being syntheic.

I agree with Mayhem on the price thing. Most shops don't install synthetic unless you ask for it and its pricey. There are synthetic/conventional blends available also but I would not advise topping off with a different oil. Also, many have reported issues like leaks and seal failures when switching back and forth between conventional and synthetic oils.

Mayhem and Semipro,
Thanks for the feedback on my question. The price was $37 for the oil change at Firestone. That's a bit more than normal so I guess it's possible it really was synthetic motor oil. I'll give them a call to confirm. I also didn't like their practice of using an oil change as an opportunity to solicite additional business. They suggested that I needed over $1,000 work on my truck ($500 for new tires and $550 for other repairs). The tires have less than 30,000 on them and look fine to my eyes. The "other repairs" also seemed of dubious value. Thanks again.
ChipTam

How many miles on the truck? Sounds like the shop may be the type to put N2 in you tires without you asking and charge you for that to!

Synthetics will leak more cause the are alot slicker. As for adding convetional oil to synthetic what really would it hurt. You can buy blends off the shelf that is already a mix and most syn's say the are compatible with other oils. Like semipro said i would go ahead and add syn of same type but a full pan of some oil iss better than a low pan of the same oil. If its low the crank cant splash it on the cylinder walls. also keep in mind wear is mostly at startup and runnig low. But having access to the same oil id top off with the same for peace of mind. 9 years auto parts counter experiance for what its worth.

Thanks to all for your replies. I called the Firestone dealer and they actually put in a "synthetic blend" (as, I believe, Semipro suspected). They said that I could top it up with regular motor oil. The truck is an 02 Silverado with 82,000 miles on it. I bought it new and it's about the most basic truck I could find (standard box and a standard transmission with an AM-FM radio). But, it's been a real work-horse for me. Little to go wrong and very little has, so far.
ChipTam

Chip,

Synthetic blend is just fine. It provides extra lubrication protection, closer to that of full synthetic, your best choice. All synthetics are great assurance for longer engine life, against that of an expensive and aggravating engine job.

As the man said, oil is cheap; engines are not!

Tires will pass inspection with anything over 2/32 left on the tread. If you don't have a tire tread depth gauge, use a newer penny, and it should pass the top of Lincoln's head.

$37 is a cheap oil change, your lucky. Im used to $120-$130 for full synthetic on just the diesel motor @ 10.4ltrs or 11quarts. All fluids I use front to back on my truck are full synthetics now. Including my power steering. Its been worth it to me. Just turned 300,000 kms and all is well. No shop time yet. Oil pressure is instant even in the bowels of winter. From factory it came with standard oil and the first winter I noticed 30 sec oil pressure times on a cold start. Full synthetics cured it. Also easy shifting on the five speed and no whining from the power steering pump. Never helped my square tires though. ;-) Oil is still cheaper to change than a new engine or other parts that require fluids. My truck had only 2500kms on it before I switched over. Yes the 1st bill was a doozy.

$120 oil change? I was worried till I saw how many quarts you need. I thoguht my wife's Audi was bad at $76...but that thing only holds 5.x quarts so I guess it is bad.

DIY for the win! Back to $30 oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.