Move Flue to side of Chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

log-on

Nov 6, 2007
Kootaneys BC
I'm undergoing a major change out and will be rebuilding part of my Masonary Chimney. It is a standard 8x12 flue and is 19X15 outside OD>
The new stove will be wider and shorter than the old Fisher so it would be nice if the flue was moved around to the side of the chimney.
It would also eliminate having 2 elbows. I will have the work done by a Mason but before I make a fool out of myself can anybody tell me if this can be done?
It would require filling in the old flue hole and drilling a new one. The problem as I see it is the weakening of the structure.
The clearances might also be a problem. The existing flue is 32" from top of pipe to ceiling. Bricks are 8" so sharing the next brick is then 24" but one more up where I'd like to put it and it's down to 16" Can't go down because thats below the 18" min. to fire box.

Attachments

• New flue hole.GIF
    New flue hole.GIF
    5.5 KB · Views: 178
Status
Not open for further replies.