Moved some wood today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
It was a beautiful day today. Started a bit frosty but was sunny and the wind finally let up. Got to 57 but felt much warmer. So I decided it was maybe a good time to start moving some wood to the barn to get ready for winter. Besides, I need to get this job out of the way before the deer rut kicks in. lol so here is one of the loads.

Moving wood.JPG

But while taking pictures I thought I'd also take a couple more. For those who say my wood stacks are
neat, take a look.

Wood goof-1.JPGWood goof-2.JPG

Well, it certainly did not look like that when it was first stacked. Looks to me like someone needed a quick fire and knew where to get some dry wood. What disgusts me about this is that had they asked, of course they could have had it. But why get it like this? I have a name for them but this is a family forum so won't use it here.

Also to my surprise, we found this:

Apple blossoms in Oct-2.JPG

Holy smokes! Apple blossoms in October? Sure enough. I posted more pictures in the Picture forum.

Nice trailer. Where did you find that at?

I bought that through Cabela when they had them on sale. I think Northern also sells them. Nice part is it has a tilt bed so if you get some big stuff it makes it easier rolling them onto the trailer, again, using the cant hook. I also use that trailer for moving our roto tiller to the gardens. Works like a charm.

Is all that land yours Dennis? Looks like a nice lot.

Yes WG, it is ours and a bit bigger than a lot. lol

Reactions: PapaDave
Gee, I hope so Gary...

Dave, I'm quite certain I know where that wood went. Crazy because all they had to do is ask. In the future though....

Reactions: ScotO
Looking good Dennis, had a good day out in the woods myself, some of your favorite Ash.

Backwoods,
I worry sometimes about the stacks in my yard too. If someone just needed wood in a emergency, I would help them out. My guess is that your loss was simple theft by some too lazy to gather their own. We live in a world of users and producers.
take care,
Tim

Wood is good and seasoned , has that grayish -black look ! NICE !:)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
There is little that makes me more angry than thievery. (Why I am so upset with politics).
Stealing your work from you land. Check out the laws in your area so you know what you are dealing with should you have the opportunity to confront the thieve. I read about one guy who's dogs took a bite out of some one who was in the process of helping himself to what was not his. The land was posted and there was a sign warning about the dog. The judge ruled in favor of the thieve for having been assaulted by the dog.

Looks like you had a great day to move some awesome looking wood! Sorry to hear someone was stealing some wood from you. I don't think anything gets me more upset than stealing something that I worked hard for!

Dennis, Is that what dry ash looks like. How long have you had that out there. Does it sit in the sun all day. At my place sunlight is a premium which makes placement of my splits important for drying time.

Thanks,
Bruce

Ps: No excuse for stealing.....

Looks like you had a perfect day for it Sav. Get that wood in quick Sav, winter will hit early in your area this year! ==c

zap

Sav, looks like a great morning for hauling some wood up to the porch. That wood, as we all expect from you, looks seasoned to perfection.

As for the thief, that really eats my craw. I get irritated when I hear of people doing that, I hope that it doesn't become a habit for this clown. Put up a trailcam and catch 'em in the act, maybe have a chat with them. You could hand some of my posters up if all else fails....

downloadfile-2.jpeg

Dennis, Is that what dry ash looks like. How long have you had that out there. Does it sit in the sun all day. At my place sunlight is a premium which makes placement of my splits important for drying time.

Thanks,
Bruce

Ps: No excuse for stealing.....

This particular stack was in a windy spot and also got lots of sunshine. The wood was cut during the winter of 2009-2010 and split in March 2010.

As I've stated many times, we sometimes stack in the shade and still have not problems drying the wood. Wind is the most important factor in the drying process.

We also rarely stack in single rows although we do have a few.

Thanks guys. As for the loss of the wood, it was only a very little bit and certainly not enough to get excited over, especially since I'm quite sure of who the culprit is. I do not expect this to happen again.

Funny that yesterday as I was getting a load of wood a neighbor came and we talked about this. Now the whole neighborhood will know about it. lol

I finished putting wood in the barn so now winter can happen any time and it won't bother us. The weather forecast is not saying we'll be burning much wood for the next week.

Thanks guys. As for the loss of the wood, it was only a very little bit and certainly not enough to get excited over, especially since I'm quite sure of who the culprit is. I do not expect this to happen again.

Funny that yesterday as I was getting a load of wood a neighbor came and we talked about this. Now the whole neighborhood will know about it. lol

I finished putting wood in the barn so now winter can happen any time and it won't bother us. The weather forecast is not saying we'll be burning much wood for the next week.
My condolences on your loss Dennis. If there is anything I can do let me know.. BTW are you sure that wood is seasoned enough to burn? I will help you out. Please drop a cord here and I will test it out to ensure it will not add creosote to your chimney.

Your Friend,
Ray

How would you like that shipped Ray? Of course, the buyer pays all shipping costs. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.