Moving a 500lb stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charly

Have to move my stove about 5 feet onto my hearth pad. Besides a hand cart or movers straps, any clever ideas. Have to be careful of the cast iron legs.

How high ya gotta lift it?

Sucker a few friends to help with food or beer? Seemed to work on me anyhow!

I would remove everything you can like doors plates, anything that comes off easily. Sometimes you can pull off 100 pounds or more. I would then try to get a couple of other guys to help you lift it, 4 guys could hoist it into place.

Other options would be an engine hoist if you have access to one or tying down to one of those rolling dolleys and then roll it up a ramp that is braced with wood under it.

It is in the floor in front of the hearth. We ain't talking a lot of distance here.

It's just got to be lifted about 2-3 inches up on top of the hearth pad. An engine hoist would be sweet!

I always default to the basics.....you could lift that stove a couple inches with a 2x4 used as a lever (and some short cut offs).
You could, for instance, set 2-2x6's flat (3 inches) from the unit to the heart - 2 sets of them to match the distance apart the legs are....then lift one side of the stove upon them using a lever or human strength - put one of those magic gliders or a piece of plastic underneath the leg so it slides...slide the stove toward the hearth and then lift the other end up....then slide the whole thing right on the hearth, using some heavy cardboard or similar once the legs get on the hearth so you can slide around without scratching the brick or tile.

Heck, I could do that by my lonesome.....with junk sitting around the house and shop. No need to lift much.

Get 2 ropes & 2 people to lift. Loop each rope under 2 of the legs & wind around forearms so that as your back is almost straight the stove will lift. I've seen this done with a Fisher so I know it works, Randy

Webmaster said:
I always default to the basics.....you could lift that stove a couple inches with a 2x4 used as a lever (and some short cut offs).
You could, for instance, set 2-2x6's flat (3 inches) from the unit to the heart - 2 sets of them to match the distance apart the legs are....then lift one side of the stove upon them using a lever or human strength - put one of those magic gliders or a piece of plastic underneath the leg so it slides...slide the stove toward the hearth and then lift the other end up....then slide the whole thing right on the hearth, using some heavy cardboard or similar once the legs get on the hearth so you can slide around without scratching the brick or tile.

Heck, I could do that by my lonesome.....with junk sitting around the house and shop. No need to lift much.
Trouble is Quad states in their instructions not to lift the stove up onto one set of legs as they are saying they could break off from all the weight on two legs. If they were plain old steel I wouldn't be worried. Good idea what your saying. Let me think :shut:

Get four people, boys and girls et. al.

Take the door off and the firebricks out.

Pick the damn thing up and sit it on the hearth.

Have beverages.

Think I'll go with the man power! Door is off and I'll take out the fire brick too. Get'er done!

my wife says that if your wife will hand you her purse and the pouch that she carries your balls in then she should be able to do it for you.

in all seriousness, though. I'd save my back and get an assortment of boards and plywood to use a floor jack to lift the stove onto a furniture dolly, then roll the stove up a makeshift ramp onto the hearth, then use jack to lift off of dolly and lower onto hearth.

Danno77 said:
my wife says that if your wife will hand you her purse and the pouch that she carries your balls in then she should be able to do it for you.

in all seriousness, though. I'd save my back and get an assortment of boards and plywood to use a floor jack to lift the stove onto a furniture dolly, then roll the stove up a makeshift ramp onto the hearth, then use jack to lift off of dolly and lower onto hearth.
Thanks for the idea, I do have a floor jack.

When we put our 500 pound rock on the hearth (a 16" lift) we first brought inside the house on a furniture dolly. Then it took 3 of us to lift it onto the hearth after we removed any weight that we could. We did use 2 2x4's under the stove to lift. It really was not bad at all but the two guys I got to help were gorillas. lol They are the type you want for friends and not enemies.

Backwoods Savage said:
When we put our 500 pound rock on the hearth (a 16" lift) we first brought inside the house on a furniture dolly. Then it took 3 of us to lift it onto the hearth after we removed any weight that we could. We did use 2 2x4's under the stove to lift. It really was not bad at all but the two guys I got to help were gorillas. lol They are the type you want for friends and not enemies.
I've got those same type friends too, the longer you stand there and BS, the bigger you realize they are. You know they're big when they complain they can't get logging boots big enough :lol:

xclimber said:
Have to move my stove about 5 feet onto my hearth pad. Besides a hand cart or movers straps, any clever ideas. Have to be careful of the cast iron legs.

600 lb Gorilla

ChillyGator said:
xclimber said:

600 lb Gorilla
Zoo's closed today :lol:

Friends + drinks (after the fact) = moved stove.

Myself and a buddy lifted mine into place. Although we are both 6'4" and over 325. Was no biggie.

firefighterjake said:
Friends + drinks (after the fact) = moved stove.
My chimney guy "friend" came by this morning, we lifted the stove to swap out the ill built legs on the new stove, for the ones that were built right. Him and I feel will be able to lift the stove. Couple of ropes . My buddy said he's moved tons of stoves using old bed sheets, wrapped around his arms . He said they work well. He's comming back next week to help me make the move.

We used to have a friend like that. He loved blowing away Volkswagen owners that had slid off the road by just picking up the rear or front of the car and pivoting it back on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.