Moving a Woodstock Palladian Stove - advice please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
I may have found a Palladian, 4 years old, at a price I can afford. I'd need to load it into a van, drive about 25 miles through assorted rural and state roads and move it into my house. My concerns are primarily in the transit in the van. How sturdy are the legs? Should i try to support it some from underneath. The ashpan looks to take up most of the bottom. I think I'll be okay moving it into the van, and into my house. My lifting buddy and I should be able to lift it (about 450#) that's about a 225# deadlift each, plus I have assorted dollys. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

JPL -

I bought a Woodstock Keystone last year (virtually the exact same stove, see photo on left!). It was shipped in a wooden crate, with another wooden crate under the stove itself. The legs have a pretty wide stance, so tipping should not be an issue once you seat it in the van and strap it down (I highly suggest strapping it down with ratcheting tie downs, since you'll be on back roads). I don't think you'll need to support it from the bottom, though. The transportation is not my concern... it's the lift into the van. Unless you and your friend are both professional deadlift champions, lifting one of those bad boys is no easy feat. It took 3 of us to get it up 4 front stairs on a dolly. And let me tell you... we barely made it! I'm not saying it's impossible, but I do suggest you assume it will be a lot tougher than you think.

As for the stove itself, it's a beautiful piece, and the radiant, longlasting warmth from soapstone is second to none in my book. You've made a great choice!

Good luck!!

Strap it down good on the van but otherwise you'll have no problem. I've moved a fair share of legged stoves in vans and I'm sure the installers in the forum have done about 25x what I've done. As long as it securely ratcheted to the van and you take it easy, you'll have no problem. As was said though, its the on and off the van that is the problem. After the first few heavy stoves I started including a few 10 foot 2x10's and a hand truck. With that setup I can get them on and off by myself although I never have tried that.

I agree on strapping it down. Do it. I delivered a bunch of cast iron stoves in the Suburban last year. One time I was in traffic and looked in the mirror to see two grand worth of cast iron rocking back and forth trying to decide which way to fall. That will put your heart up in your throat fast.

jpl1nh.
It looks like PhotoHound is correct and this is very similar to the used Woodstock Keystone I am interested in. The basic specs are identical and their retail prices are very close. I'm wondering what a 4 or 5 year old Keystone is worth. What do you think is a reasonable price for the Palladian / Keystone?

Notice how I avoided asking the potentially rude question of what you'll be paying for yours?
Thanks,
~Cath

BrotherBart said:
I agree on strapping it down. Do it. I delivered a bunch of cast iron stoves in the Suburban last year. One time I was in traffic and looked in the mirror to see two grand worth of cast iron rocking back and forth trying to decide which way to fall. That will put your heart up in your throat fast.

Been there too! Had to avoid an accident in a box van with a dutchwest in the back. Dad was yelling "whoa whoa whoa whoa" and I turned around to see that stove teetering on two legs. Thankfully it didn't fall. It would have landed on a vigilant or an old pellet stove.

I moved an extremely heavy cast iron stove this year 150 miles. I put a moving blanket over it, then cardboard on top of that, then four ratcheting straps, didn't take any chances. It never moved. I would suggest using at least three people to load and unload. your basically lifting it with your fingers and the higher you lift the harder it is on your back. Someday I am going to get those forearm straps, they look like they work.

If you can get a good sturdy pallet, I'd probably put it on that, and hopefully the legs have a hole in them, so you could bolt it to the pallet (my Hearthstone came shipped that way, so maybe woodstock does the same thing). Then strap it well to the pallet. I think a pallet will make the lifting or dolly part a lot easier as well.

I agree with the last 2 posts... you really are lifting with your fingers. When I moved mine up the stairs, it was still crated - much easier. But when I had to maneuveur it into place on the hearth, it was just with the tips of my fingers.... what a pain!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Harley, I think your idea of putting it on a pallet is a great suggestion. I can then cover with moving blankets and strap it to the pallet. That will allow us to put a pair of 2x4's through the pallet and have good "handles" to lift with. Corrie, good advice about the handtruck and 2x10's. I've got a good pair of 2x10's I can bring along. Guess Ill just go to U-haul and get one of their appliance dollys since we may have to wheel it 100' or so at each end and some rachet straps to secure it. I'm going to look at the stove today so we'll see what happens. If it works out this will be sweet! I've gone back and forth over soapstone or not, the negative being the ability to get quick heat just to take the chill off in the "tween" seasons. But the price their asking for this is only $500 which I think is a steal unless they've badly overfired or cracked it or something though they claim it's in very good shape. Frankly, if it's in good shape I think it's worth 2 to 3 times that amount. Depending on how much they used it could be time for a new cat combuster. Even so, for that price and that stove, I'll give up a few quick chill removal sessions. And I figure after using it for a while, I'll probably learn how to somewhat handle some of those cool "tween" mornings anyway. I'll keep you posted. Thanks all!

jpl1nh said:
... But the price their asking for this is only $500 which I think is a steal unless they've badly overfired or cracked it or something though they claim it's in very good shape. Frankly, if it's in good shape I think it's worth 2 to 3 times that amount. Depending on how much they used it could be time for a new cat combuster. ...

jpl1nh,
Thanks for the info. I hadn't considered the possibility of needing to replace the catalytic converter. How much would that cost?
~Cath

I was just reading the Keystone manual and they mentioned two bolts intended to keep the combuster from shifting during transit. They indicated that you should remove them to remove the combuster for cleaning and that you might as well keep them out, that they weren't necessary unless you were going to move the stove again. I am moving the stove again. Suspecting that the bolts are long gone, should I not worry too much about it and just be careful, or should I remove the combuster and transport it seperately?

I think I would pull the cat for the move... no sense in it rattling around in there and risk damage.

Harley said:
I think I would pull the cat for the move... no sense in it rattling around in there and risk damage.
That's my thinking too Harley, thanks

The Keystone (not Palladian) arrived at it's new home, our house, last night. With the help of my son Alex, the 2 of us managed to move it out of the sellers house, down 5 stairs, across a lumpy and uneven lawn, load it into a van, drive it home, remove the old Jotul Combifire from its long serving position of honor, unload the Keystone from the van, move it into the house and set it in it's new position of honor on our hearth. Not a scratch, not a bump, nothing damaged and no one hurt! His help was invaluable. We had plans for each step of the process, and as he said chuckling, probably 50% of them will work. Exactly!! But we were well equiped with pallets, an appliance dolly, straps, 2x8's, 2x4's, dowels to roll things on, rope, etc. and some muscle!!We took our time, thought it through and figured it out. Whew!! :) I've got pipe coming from Woodstock Stove, decided to spend the extra bucks on the good stuff. It should be here on Monday. Stove needs a few small scratches buffed out of the top and door, a few stains removed from some of the cast iron and perhaps a few touch up sprays of the cast too, then it will look like new. I feel like it's where it belongs. My wife who wasn't keen on the $500 I dropped for it, has decided that it may have been a wise expenditure after all. I think it was a phenomenal deal! Worst case, she's humoring me. If she's not sure now, in January, I know she'll understand. Thanks for all the suggestions and tips. You all helped us make this a safe and event free move! :coolsmile:

Are you KIDDING me? $500? Best deal I've ever seen on one of those stoves. Good for you!! I wish I would have looked more to find a used unit. Great job! You'll love it.

Re: the touch up: ask Woodstock for the matching touch-up paint so you'll be sure to get a uniform color match. Cover the soapstone and glass, buff the stains with some abrasive steel wool, and spray 12 inches from the surface. Any overspray onto the soapstone will buff out with 000 steel wool (and polish it too!) (can you tell I've done it?)

ThePhotoHound said:
Are you KIDDING me? $500? Best deal I've ever seen on one of those stoves. Good for you!! I wish I would have looked more to find a used unit. Great job! You'll love it.

Re: the touch up: ask Woodstock for the matching touch-up paint so you'll be sure to get a uniform color match. Cover the soapstone and glass, buff the stains with some abrasive steel wool, and spray 12 inches from the surface. Any overspray onto the soapstone will buff out with 000 steel wool (and polish it too!) (can you tell I've done it?)
My wife wasn't onboard with this purchase at first, we don't really have $500 for a new stove, but I agree that at $500 it was such a great deal I couldn't not buy it! Thanks for the touch up tips. The seller gave me a can of paint from Woodstock. I'm on my way to the hardware store now for the steel wool. I read all of Woodstock's literature on scratches etc. By the way, if that's your stove on your avatar, I love the color combo's. This stove has brown paint which I like, but the soapsone pieces aren't quite as distinctive and well matched as some of their stoves I've seen. Nonetheless, its a very handsome stove and I'm delighted to have it.

Funny story... that was the exact stove we had picked out. Then we took the trip to the Woodstock factory, and my wife didn't like the brown in person. It's a good thing we took the drive! We decided on the silver (still a Keystone), and the stones are even darker, for more contrast. I've been meaning to change the avatar for one of my exact stove........

LOL, I understand! The brown makes the stove a bit subtle. When I visited the factory, I can honestly say I thought the stoves looked better in person than their literature! I've looked at a good amount of stoves over the past year and always found them a bit dissapointing "in the flesh" until the Woodstock stoves. From the pictures, I always thought the Fireview looked way too old fashion or prudish or something. When I actually saw them, they were my favorite stove. Unfortunately too much stove for our smaller home.. With the combination of various soapstones colors and patterns and the choice of cast iron colors, each stove truly is unique. They all are beautiful. Look forward to your avatar update. Hopefully I'll get a photo of the finnished install on line soon with my humble brown Keystone.

Woodstock stoves are just as much a piece of furniture as they are a heating appliance. You wouldn't believe the off-season comments we get with it just sitting in the room. As for the Fireview - it's funny you say that. My wife had a black Fireview growing up. When we started looking at the stoves, she made it clear right away she wanted nothing to do with the Fireview because of that very same argument - too ornate with the scrolling on the stove. Hell, I just wanted the extra 10,000 BTU!! We decided on the Keystone for not just it's output, but for the large view of the fire (also with the Palladian). THe ambiance was as important as the heating capability. I think the Keystone was a good choice for us. And I'm sure you'll love your stove (and the wife will too!) for many, many years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.