Moving air out of alcove (heat trap?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jarrod_ramsey

Dec 27, 2021
Arkansas
Hi all,

I have an alcove that has an open cavity above my wood stove. I'm concerned with it creating a heat trap. I've gathered several options:

1. Run a flu pipe from the cavity to the room right above it (a common library room).
a. I can build a plenum of sorts to draw the warm air out from the alcove into the common room, or
b. same plenum, reverse the fan to push cold air from library room into alcove
c. I can keep running the flu pipe into the attic to connect to my HVAC return air and distribute the warm air through the house.
2. Cut vents in the alcove + fan to circulate air out of the alcove.

Thing to note is heating the furthest room (my daughter's) upstairs has been a challenge. My instinct is to go with option 1a and push warm air closer to her room.

Asking you all for any dangers, other options, affirmation, or that I'm a buffoon.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Hi all,

I have an alcove that has an open cavity above my wood stove. I'm concerned with it creating a heat trap. I've gathered several options:

1. Run a flu pipe from the cavity to the room right above it (a common library room).
a. I can build a plenum of sorts to draw the warm air out from the alcove into the common room, or
b. same plenum, reverse the fan to push cold air from library room into alcove
c. I can keep running the flu pipe into the attic to connect to my HVAC return air and distribute the warm air through the house.
2. Cut vents in the alcove + fan to circulate air out of the alcove.

Thing to note is heating the furthest room (my daughter's) upstairs has been a challenge. My instinct is to go with option 1a and push warm air closer to her room.

Asking you all for any dangers, other options, affirmation, or that I'm a buffoon.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Why not just close off the pocket in the alcove so there isn't a heat trap. Or eliminate the front on it so there is no heat trap. Does it currently meet the stoves alcove requirements?

Reactions: Mt Bob
Why not just close off the pocket in the alcove so there isn't a heat trap. Or eliminate the front on it so there is no heat trap. Does it currently meet the stoves alcove requirements?

I'm glad you mentioned that. My only concern would be the air above the woodstove ceiling and the actual ceiling as the vent pipe gives off heat as well.

Sounds like the counter to that would be vents up high.

Wife wants a mantel, that's why the front.

It's completely wrapped in hardy board, steel studs, and mortar.

I'm glad you mentioned that. My only concern would be the air above the woodstove ceiling and the actual ceiling as the vent pipe gives off heat as well.

Sounds like the counter to that would be vents up high.

Wife wants a mantel, that's why the front.

It's completely wrapped in hardy board, steel studs, and mortar.
So there are no combustibles in the walls ceiling mantle etc at all? And if it's stove pipe no you can't enclose that.

What stove is this for? Can you post a picture of what is currently existing?

My concern is that there may be safety issues. Most stoves will not allow this type of installation unless all clearances are met and that often requires non-combustible construction throughout.

What stove is this for? Can you post a picture of what is currently existing?

My concern is that there may be safety issues. Most stoves will not allow this type of installation unless all clearances are met and that often requires non-combustible construction throughout.
No combustibles. Metal studs, hardyboard and clearance within specs of system.

So there are no combustibles in the walls ceiling mantle etc at all? And if it's stove pipe no you can't enclose that.

No combustibles inside the clearance. The ceiling is 9' high, but is sheetrock is the only thing combustible that's inside the alcove. Everything else is hardyboard, tile, steel studs, etc.

I haven't heard about not enclosing the stove pipe, so that's good info.

No combustibles inside the clearance. The ceiling is 9' high, but is sheetrock is the only thing combustible that's inside the alcove. Everything else is hardyboard, tile, steel studs, etc.

I haven't heard about not enclosing the stove pipe, so that's good info.

This is roughly what we’ve got.

Regarding the stove pipe not being enclosed, are you referring that if it was triple-walled, it could be? I’d assume something to that tune as I see many people installing wood stove in alcoves.

Moving air out of alcove (heat trap?)