Moving exist Wood Stove from Basement to Living Area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cracked Eggs

Jan 25, 2015
Connecticut
I have a wood burning stove in the basement of my house and a pellet stove in the living room which is above the garage.

I have ask local Hearth Stores about possibly moving the wood burning stove upstairs where the pellet stove is so that I can reduces cost even more and get free labor heat (wood).

All of the stores I spoke to said that they could do it if I purchased a new one stove but I do not want to do that. I contacted my local chimney companies and that stated I needed a builder or carpenter to do it.

I just need to know who or what type of contractor / carpenter I would need to move it. I potentially would like to move it more towards the middle of the house as it is 2100 square foot... I have a perfect spot in the hall way as it is a 10 by 12 foot space with nothing more the decoration in it. It is located just below the stairs for upstairs.

Any suggestion on rather to leave in the basement or move upstairs would be appreciated as well as what who can do it as far as types of companies or contractor.

Also any idea on price??? I live in CT

Sorry. No help here. If I wanted to move a stove I would install a chimney using the chimney instructions, get a new hearth pad set up using the stove specific directions and then get some big burlies to help me set the stove under that new chimney. I have no idea what craft or contractor flavor would do that work for me. Maybe a general contractor would take it on if the requirements could be spelled out well enough for them to do the work. At that point you would not be hiring expertise but just construction skills.

When I got my stove they had a name of a person that contracted out for the install.
So my suggestion is to go to a place where they sell stoves and ask them if they know of someone who installs stoves independent of from the store.

Did you contact all the csia and nfi sweeps in your area i find it hard to believe that none of them will do it. I know most of the sweeps around here would gladly do that.

Like others have said, call around to sweeps. Even if they don't do it, they probably know people who do.

My Hearthstone dealer doesn't sweep, only sell and install. They recommended a local sweep service who has been great to me for years. They are a dealer for Napoleon, but gladly do work on any brand.

Sounds like a good move. I would look at other possible areas. Putting a stove right alongside a stairway can lead to most of the heat going upstairs. In a basement that can be desirable, but usually on the main floor one wants a more even distribution of heat and a bit cooler bedrooms for sleeping.

When I moved, my Quad dealer moved the stove, moved my chimney and installed everything in the new house. I did have to buy some additional chimney pieces to make it work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.