Moving heat upstairs- more BTUS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ23

Feb 19, 2014
canada
Have had a p43 for 2 weeks now and in the process of swapping it. Have talked to many about the swapping of the p43 for either the xxv or the p61. I did settle on the p61 but haven't switched it out yet.

I have installed ceiling fans and I have a whisper fan and some heat does move and upstairs can be a comfortable in the high 70's with no problems. (the stove is in the family room on the lower level in a split entry home). It's certainly a different heat than what we had before with a gravity fed oil stove.

I have asked 100 times about the xxv and what it will do. If I am using it just a space heater then maybe the XXV would have been more of a logical choice as I am told it's quieter--------- but at the same time I am wondering if the p61a is going to make anymore sense for me long term. The thing we learn quickly is that yes these will heat spaces EXTREMELY warm but moving the heat is always the dilemma at hand. And there's no way the upper is ever going to be as hot as the lower. What I am now fearful is that the 61 might be too much for the family room and it will drive us out of sitting there.

Don't forget the other half of the equation, a floor fan to move the cold back down toward the stove;)

The best ways to get heat where you want it is with a stove that will except duct work or a pellet furnace. Your fear of over heating the space where the stove is at will likely be reality. Fans will help, But as it gets colder you will most likely have an overly warm space where the stove is at.

Another is multiple stoves. One in the downstairs space and another up.

Reactions: Mt Bob
we have a 2 story poorly insulated 90 yr old house.
Haman P61A downstairs directly across from 2nd floor steps..
ceiling fan at top of step on low/clockwise....
keeps the 2nd floor a comfortable 66 degrees...[for us any warmer is not comfortable sleeping.
would be more but we only run the P61A around half the BTU capacity to keep the downstairs at 73 degrees..
hope this helps.

I have a whisper fan and some heat does move and upstairs can be a comfortable in the high 70's with no problems.
If you are now getting it to the high 70`s upstairs now (to me to hot) than either stove p61 or XXV will do the same. They will just be on different settings.
What is your stove room temp with your P43?

The best ways to get heat where you want it is with a stove that will except duct work or a pellet furnace. Your fear of over heating the space where the stove is at will likely be reality. Fans will help, But as it gets colder you will most likely have an overly warm space where the stove is at.

Another is multiple stoves. One in the downstairs space and another up.
X2

Have had a p43 for 2 weeks now and in the process of swapping it. Have talked to many about the swapping of the p43 for either the xxv or the p61. I did settle on the p61 but haven't switched it out yet.

I have installed ceiling fans and I have a whisper fan and some heat does move and upstairs can be a comfortable in the high 70's with no problems. (the stove is in the family room on the lower level in a split entry home). It's certainly a different heat than what we had before with a gravity fed oil stove.

I have asked 100 times about the xxv and what it will do. If I am using it just a space heater then maybe the XXV would have been more of a logical choice as I am told it's quieter--------- but at the same time I am wondering if the p61a is going to make anymore sense for me long term. The thing we learn quickly is that yes these will heat spaces EXTREMELY warm but moving the heat is always the dilemma at hand. And there's no way the upper is ever going to be as hot as the lower. What I am now fearful is that the 61 might be too much for the family room and it will drive us out of sitting there.
2 WEEKS!

You haven't had your stove long enough to really get to know its capabilities, and you're already swapping it out for a P61, and now you're having 3rd or 4th thoughts?

Your requirement is HIGH 70s upstairs? And, the P43 can do it "with no problems"?!? So, why are you swapping out the P43 for a P61?

The key is to define the question, first, before coming up with the answer.

Okay, maybe the problem is the heat differential between upper and lower. A bigger stove won't help. To solve that, you need to give it time and get as much air moving as possible between up and down. Having ceiling fans pulling the air up, i.e. reversed from their normal summer flow, either at the highest point of your house, or above a long vertical rise above your stairs, are the best places to put your fan. Then you also need a way to let the cooler air make its way back downstairs, creating a convection current. If you can do this successfully, you can get the whole house equalized. I have 3000sqft to heat, with 10ft avg ceilings. My house is very well insulated, and I have lots of open space where 4 super efficient ceiling fans are located. These fans run on their lowest setting but my whole house is evenly heated, but that requires a good convection current.

I would put a reversed ceiling fan above the foot of the stairs, the closest to where the hot air might rise. Then, I would put a box fan at the top of the stairs blowing down the steps.

Reactions: cory127
Just finished installing a 52 inch ceiling at the top of the stairs and all I can say is wow! what a difference. 75 downstairs 72 upstairs.

Just so we are all on the same page here,
a reversed fan is rotating Clockwise if you are standing under it looking up.. correct?

Just so we are all on the same page here,
a reversed fan is rotating Clockwise if you are standing under it looking up.. correct?
Unless you're in Australia!

Like chkn said: give it some time. After I put my p61a in I was ready to cut vents in all the floors after the first day. Then I tinkered with the ventilation lineup for my FHA system. Now...I don't do ANYTHING and the 2nd floor stays within 4-6 deg if the first floor. Of course my first floor is very open so I'm sure that makes a difference... Give it a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.