moving Jotul3 CB stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Englishteacher

Hearth Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Chesepeake Bay
My Jotul3 CB was installed with double walled stove pipe out of the top straight up a vaulted ceiling about 20 feet straight up an open, vaulted interior. The stove is a little undersized for my house, and I'm trying to make it run at its best. I like the stove and am not ready to buy a new one, just get this one to run at its best. I had a tech from a reputable company take a look at it today for ideas. One of the things we talked about is moving the stovepipe to the back. that it would create more heating surface on top as well as the back and also create more of a baffle to slow down the draft which is very strong. We'd also be moving the stove itself about 12" forward(the chimney pipe of course remaining stationary) which would place it a little closer to a regular 8 foot ceiling, as the existing location is an open vaulted ceiling above. Right now all my heat goes straight up to that 20' ceiling, not doing me a lot of good. I've got the circular iron insert for the top. I looked in the back and there is a circle for a stove pipe but it looks like just a template. Can I vent this out the back? More importantly would moving the stovepipe to the back from the top make much of a difference. Would it be worth it?
Advice here always helpful.

It will slow down the draft a bit. But adding a key damper would be simpler if you don't mind one additional control. It would need to be open at startup and closed down once the stove got going well.

Status
Not open for further replies.