Moving out my QuadraFire 5700

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charly

I have to move my big Quad stove into a back porch and then I can pick it up with my forks on my tractor. It's getting replaced with my new Fireview. Here's what I'm going to try. I bought 4 threaded casters, 5 inch solid rubber wheels with 3/8x16 threaded studs. I'm going to shore up my stove, unbolt the legs and simple thread the casters back in and then move the stove out on it's own wheels. Have to go down a 6 inch drop to the back room so I can go out the door to the back porch. I will build a long shallow ramp so the stove doesn't get away .Anyone ever add wheels to their stove?

Dolly. Slide under stove. Add 2x4s until the stove is off the ground. Wheel to destination. Very little lifting. Hardly any swearing.

I would be concerned about adding wheels to the legs as the legs can bend or crack easily.

I slip a cut section of plywood under the legs, then put a good appliance dolly under the plywood and ratchet strap the stove to the dolly. Just moved a stove last weekend this way.

I would remove the legs and put the stove on a dolly. Attaching casters directly to the stove and then rolling over thresholds and steps may present stresses the stove is not designed to handle.

I've never done that and never have needed to, but I do take my time. The dolly has pneumatic tires that soften the ride. Most of the stoves I've moved are cast iron and have an ashpan underneath so removing the legs doesn't gain much.

Dolly. Slide under stove. Add 2x4s until the stove is off the ground. Wheel to destination. Very little lifting. Hardly any swearing.

I would be concerned about adding wheels to the legs as the legs can bend or crack easily.
I was going to remove the legs and just thread the caster stud into where the legs mounted.

I would remove the legs and put the stove on a dolly. Attaching casters directly to the stove and then rolling over thresholds and steps may present stresses the stove is not designed to handle.
I planned on all smooth rolling, shimming thresholds with wood, no steps to go over.

What worked best, when I had to bring my Esse cook stove into my house, weighing around 750 lbs, no dolly was needed. My two "GOOD" friends, each took an end and carried it waist high to it's resting place. I wish I had taken a picture of that!!!!

We did that with the Castine going in, but it went out on wheels.

What worked best, when I had to bring my Esse cook stove into my house, weighing around 750 lbs, no dolly was needed. My two "GOOD" friends, each took an end and carried it waist high to it's resting place. I wish I had taken a picture of that!!!!

Those are the kind of guys you always want to be friends with. I'd surely hate to have them as an enemy!!!

When we brought the Fireview in, I put it on a piano dolly.

Moving out my QuadraFire 5700
We had to go up a few steps to get on the porch, then a turn and another step up into the house.

Also, we did not uncrate the stove until we had it directly in front of the hearth.

Those are the kind of guys you always want to be friends with. I'd surely hate to have them as an enemy!!!

When we brought the Fireview in, I put it on a piano dolly.

View attachment 70467
We had to go up a few steps to get on the porch, then a turn and another step up into the house.

Also, we did not uncrate the stove until we had it directly in front of the hearth.
The fireview crate is on a dolly in our back room for now. Just have to move the other stove out.

Status
Not open for further replies.