Moving pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westcafe

Oct 5, 2008
central, ma
Ok we gave in and are moving our pellet stove, Enviro Omega, from the basement to the main living area of the house. We are going to connect it to the main chimney which is a huge stone fireplace going through the center of the house with cathedral ceilings. There are 6 flues in the chimney so the pellet stove will have its own flue. We have chiseled away the stone and have put a thimble in there. Will we need to put a SS pipe running up to the top of the chimney and cap it. The flue is 8" x 8" and clay. The height from the flue to the top of the chimney is 26'. Also will I need an OAK? ( I hate to ask that question...) Thanks for any and all advice and comments.

Ok we gave in and are moving our pellet stove, Enviro Omega, from the basement to the main living area of the house. We are going to connect it to the main chimney which is a huge stone fireplace going through the center of the house with cathedral ceilings. There are 6 flues in the chimney so the pellet stove will have its own flue. We have chiseled away the stone and have put a thimble in there. Will we need to put a SS pipe running up to the top of the chimney and cap it. The flue is 8" x 8" and clay. The height from the flue to the top of the chimney is 26'. Also will I need an OAK? ( I hate to ask that question...) Thanks for any and all advice and comments.

Hello

Good question and if you ask the people who install chimney liners for a living, you can guess what they will say! I have the same setup and just dump the pellet pipe into the chimney. It works very well! In fact it is a heck of alot easier to open the cleanout once a year to vacuum it, then to run 20 feet of pellet brush up a ribbed chimney liner that hold an enormous amount of pellet ash!

Reactions: westcafe
I would just dump it into the chimney and be done with it.
And as always you should have a carbon monoxide detector somewhere close to the installed location.
If you don't have a oak - there's always a chance - during a power outage - to have smoke spill back into the living area - via the air intake (oak connection).
I've seen it happen - and thats why I would never run without an oak.

Hello
Also why move the stove when you can just add some ductwork?

See pics on how I did mine! Works great! I installed 2 floor registers, one in Kitchen and one in Living Room!
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/...ribution-getting-the-heat-up-one-floor.65315/

6" ductwork has Inline fan connected to the cooling contacts on a T-Stat so fan comes on when air temp above stove rises above 75 Degs F and brings 130 - 150 Deg F into those two rooms!

Hello
Also why move the stove when you can just add some ductwork?
See pics on how I did mine! Works great! I installed 2 floor registers, one in Kitchen and one in Living Room!
6" ductwork has Inline fan connected to the cooling contacts on a T-Stat so fan comes on when air temp above stove rises above 75 Degs F and brings 130 - 150 Deg F into those two rooms!
Good point......if I don't need to line the chimney then I don't have any cost at all except a new thimble and a $7 bag of concrete. If I put duct work in it would cost me a lot more and I am not sure if Massachusetts lets you cut holes in the floor for registers. Just seemed to be the easiest and least expensive way to do this.

I would just dump it into the chimney and be done with it.
And as always you should have a carbon monoxide detector somewhere close to the installed location.
If you don't have a oak - there's always a chance - during a power outage - to have smoke spill back into the living area - via the air intake (oak connection).
I've seen it happen - and thats why I would never run without an oak.
I was hoping this would work :) We are going to give it a try. Is there any thing besides the carbon monoxide(not taken lightly by the way) that we should be aware of?

check with your local code enforcement person about relining. THere was a strong movement in MA to force the reline on people when they invented the Solid Fuel Lic. Some inspectors are ok with connecting to existing flue, other are not.

Check code in your area with your town. It is illegal in my city to NOT have a liner. And, the stove manual calls for one to boot. Skipping out on it is half-assing it IMO.

I was hoping this would work :) We are going to give it a try. Is there any thing besides the carbon monoxide(not taken lightly by the way) that we should be aware of?
Anything else ? Yes - just be sure to do the OAK. It's just so important to ensure it is connected properly - I've seen a power outages where the smoke just exited out the air intake (the OAK connection point) and into the living area.

#1- Good for you for moving the stove upstairs.

#2- Do put in a liner. Not doing it is easy. But the ash ends up somewhere. How are you going to retrieve it.from the bottom of the flue? A liner will enable you to do the Leafblower trick. One if the easiest and BEST cleaning tools.

#3- Do add an OAK

#4- Registers in the floor can and may be against code (please use fusible links)

#5- The Omega is a Hell of a Heater. Please post pics.

I'm guessing you have a clay liner or plain brick in your chimney. If so, you will need to do some research on the temperature of the exhaust gas of your stove. In the late seventies due to the oil embargo the goverment ran rebate programs to change your furnace from oil to gas. Most chimneys for oil had clay liners, gas furnaces have a different exhaust gas temperature (reason why we have double jacketed liners). This caused condensation in the liner which froze when furnace shut off, causeing the liner to shatter and spall blocking the chimney. People died from CO poisoning. We all shut our stoves down for cleaning, or when its warm so be careful. Most chimneys are capped with a clay liner so check with the city. There are alot of variations of furnaces (high efficiency, med efficiency) and liner types. Not all building code regulations are put there to keep inspectors employed.

If your existing flue is in good shape there is absolutely no reason to put a liner,... just a waste of money... In my opinion (Im a mason, 30 yrs by trade),...this new trend of "liners" is going to be a disaster in 7-15 yrs when they all start to deteriorate and collapse,... SS or not,.. the WILL rot out!!!
Ive seen well protected clay tile flue last 40-50 yrs,...

Status
Not open for further replies.