Moving the thimble 6" only on inside of wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Scott Pond

Nov 30, 2013
Ottawa Valley
Hey folks. Fairly new hear, but hope you can help me out. I am renovating a room that has my Eco 65 in it. The stove is located in a corner and the thimble was installed butting up against the corner of two walls. I have added 6" depth to all the walls which now means that the inside of the thimble and the outside are offset by approximately 6" horizontally. Do I need to make a new hole outside and move the outside plate, or can I put in angles and "bend" through the wall. Or, can I just put the middle pipe on an angle but "straight" through the wall. I don't really want to make another hole as it is brick, and it would mean a a real mess..

Thanks

Consider posting pictures of your issue. It may help in getting some feed back.

The purpose of the thimble is to maintain an air gap between the exhaust pipe and thimble shell, with a minimum of contact to the exhaust pipe so you keep down the heat transfer. So you have to run the pipe through the center of the thimble shell. I can visualize what you want to do. The only way I can think of (besides just making a new hole to go straight) would be an angled thimble, it would have an elliptical hole at each endplate and you would run your pipe straight through at an angle. I'm not sure if such a piece is sold anywhere, but they might make something for going through angled ceilings. You could make one but it probably won't meet code if that's an issue for you. And you would still have to chisel some of the block to allow for the angled thimble shell. And you don't ever want to put an offset inside the thimble, if a joint were to leak you'd never know.