1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Moving to Europe, want to by pellet stove here, will it work?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by wcraigcarter, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wcraigcarter

wcraigcarter New Member

Loc:
    Boston
    I am new to this group.

I've researched several pellet stove companies and hope to buy one as I make plans to move to Europe.

The company sells in europe, but the dealer says that they (the company) will not ship a 220V 60hz version.

The stove's maximum electrical power consumption is 440 watts---it is easy to find step-up transformers to convert from 120 to 220 volts.

Typically the frequency difference (50 hertz Europe/60 America) will only affect clock rates.

Do I risk buying one here (at half the price) and ship it with the rest of my belongings?

Many Thanks, WCC

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waxhaw, NC... Formerly North shore Mass
    you would need a step down xfmr.
    frequency also affects motor speeds. but most should be rated to 50/60 Hz
  3. SteveT

SteveT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West of Boston
    Also consider shipping cost/insurance, customs duties, no warranty, no dealer support, parts, etc.

Plus, if you are only going to be an Ex-Pat for awhile there would probably be very limited demand if you want to sell it on your return.
  4. wcraigcarter

wcraigcarter New Member

Loc:
    Boston
    Thanks GVA and EngineREP for the answers.

This will be a permanent installation and there is a shipment going already so this cost would not be additional. I am willing to go without the waranttee.

There is a fairly active market in France and several distributors.

I believe that my major concern would be the chip boards.

I am now wondering if I take the risk and send it over, whether I could just buy replacement electrical parts if the stove fails to work properly.

Thanks, WCC
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.