Moving warm air from my hearth room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Bo

Hearth Supporter
Nov 24, 2009
Southern Maryland
Hello, I an new to this forum. I found it looking for information on insatlling a return air from my hearth room to the forced air system in the house. Let me explain that my free standing Sierra stove sits upon the fireplace hearth , the room is 16'wide by 22' long it has a catherdral ceiling that is 20' tall at the peak and a paddle fan installed to move the hot air down during the cooling season, the fan does not seem to do any good moving the warm air down to were the firsat floor cold air return can gather it., so here is my question, My first floor return air grill is 20"x 20" if I were to install one of eaqaul size up at 19 feet from the floor( away from my stove) and run it into the return plenum is that any kind of an issue provided the existing return air is blocked of during heating cycles,

Thanks and I hope I am not being redudndant!

I don't think it will really make a difference you are looking for. Once you grab that warm air and blow it through ducts and back out it will cool off. Many have tried this on here with pretty much the same result. Now if you had a way to add a return where you were wanting the warm air then you closed off and added another register in the stove room you may get more warm air back there. Think of drawing your air out of the stove room with a vacuum in the room you want to warm and then pressurizing the stove room to make the warm air want to leave it. Even using fans you want to move the cold air to the stove and let the warm air chase the air you are removing.

Got ya, I guess the only thing good I have on my side is the is the return from the hearth room is directly over the homes furnace, now that being said I may look into an add on (wood)furnace or one that goes outside , what an education this place is,

Status
Not open for further replies.