1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Mower Woes

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by pyrogirl, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrogirl

pyrogirl New Member

Loc:
    SE WI
    I might have killed my less than 1 year old Yard Machine 190cc Briggs & Stratton engine.

I went to use it for the 2nd time this year and added a quart of Penzoil 10W30 oil (later saw that the capacity was 20 oz) and filled the gas tank with 2 week old unleaded gas. While running, black smoke poured out the side. Eventually the smoke mostly subsided, but the engine sounded like it was half-heartedly running. Now I can't get the engine to start. From your perspective, is it worth taking the mower in for repair or should I bite the bullet and get a "better" one?

BTW, I have no mechanical skills or anyone whom to ask for help. I will be grateful for all your help!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pyrogirl

pyrogirl New Member

Loc:
    SE WI
    Pook - Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I changed the spark plug (well actually I stopped by an independent auto mechanic shop and got them to - took 20 seconds), changed the air filter and siphoned out the excess oil and VIOLA, the mower works like a charm!
  3. Thomask9590

Thomask9590 New Member

Loc:
    Portland, ME
    Most mowers are bullet proof thee days. Good Job. :)
  4. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    With the floods by me more people are gonna need your set up to keep the skeeters away!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.