Mr Cool line routing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
I’m planning on installing a Mr Cool 1 ton mininisit this summer.

While planning the route for the lines, it occurred to me that I could come out the wall to the outside, then immediately turn up and go into the soffit., roughly 6” above the hole through the wall. I could then travel down the soffit for approximately 18 feet and then turn down to where the outside compressor would be located. The lines would attach to the compressor about 3.5” under the soffit. Would this somewhat odd route cause any pooling issues with the coolant? I think it should be gas moving through the lines, but could a long interval between cycles cause the gas to reliquify?

This would be in a family cabin that might not be used for months at a time.

It’s not really addressed in the manual, but they do give instructions for the indoor unit being lower than the outdoor unit.

That dip probably keeps liquid refrigerant out of the indoor unit, but obviously plug the line so gas could not pass.

Mr Cool line routing Mr Cool line routing

Once refrigerant goes through condenser it’s a liquid. Once it goes through the expansion valve it changes state thus cooling. If you have a clogged evaporator sometimes you can get liquid back to the compressor which is bad. The oil is moved around with the refrigerant. So I’m guessing they want a low spot so oil won’t pool in the evaporator (indoor unit in AC mode) coil? They also tell you to just coil the excess line.

I just wouldn’t want the hassle of getting a line set in the soffit.

I went to great lengths to be sure of a total downhill slope to the outdoor unit. Next time, I’ll just coil up the extra. Heck, if the manual shows you can have the indoor unit lower than the outdoor with an intentional “trap” then what’s the real problem?

Btw, my mrcool is working very well. You can search my username for my installation thread.,

During my time as a building inspector I saw professionals come out of the indoor unit and go up into the attic, across the home and then down to the outdoor unit on the ground. Just like your soffit scenario.

Of course the condensate line can’t do that without a pump.