MS 391 good deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
I have found a Stihl MS391 w/18" bar just over a year old in decent condition. Seller wants $350....good deal for somebody looking for 1 saw to cut about 7 to 10 cords per year? I've been looking for a 361.

Bob I really like the 390's never ran a 391 but should be no let down there. 350.00 is a very good deal. 391 and the 361 could be argued all day long. 350 and in good shape sounds GOOD!

If it is a year old and still in good shape it may be worth it....

I found it listed for $539 plus tax new with the 18 inch bar...

Looks it over good...Run it and so on...

I'll take a comp gauge with me and look it over. To check the piston..remove muffler and use a light while slowly pulling on rope, right? Any other major things to look at?

muncybob said:
I'll take a comp gauge with me and look it over. To check the piston..remove muffler and use a light while slowly pulling on rope, right? Any other major things to look at?

You got it! Cant be over a year old saw so if its good behind the muffler your good. May even still be under warranty!

I'm not sure how much difference there is between the 391 and the 390 but I have a 390 with a muffler mod running a 16 inch bar and I love it. Lots of power to tear through the oak and hickory I cut. $350 sounds like a great deal.

Well, was all set to go take a look at this saw but the Mrs. informs me we now have a $800+ dental bill...sheez, I hate it when life gets in the way! This is the 3rd time I was about ready to buy a saw and an expense pops up to put it once again on the back shelf...oh well, I'll be looking again in a month or so. Just grateful that my buddy is in no hurry for his saw back!

muncybob said:
Well, was all set to go take a look at this saw but the Mrs. informs me we now have a $800+ dental bill...sheez, I hate it when life gets in the way! This is the 3rd time I was about ready to buy a saw and an expense pops up to put it once again on the back shelf...oh well, I'll be looking again in a month or so. Just grateful that my buddy is in no hurry for his saw back!

Good news is you know what to look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.