Found stove on Marketplace wondering if it is a good deal. New to woodturning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hiker45

Aug 4, 2023
Wolcott
I found a Heritage Hearthstone wood stove on Marketplace model number 8021 I was wondering if this would be a good stove to buy it they are selling it for $1200 looks to be in decent condition except for a couple of Nicks on the corners and on the top of the soapstone but nothing too dramatic is this a good deal? My house is only $1,100 square feet but very very poorly insulated I was going to put it in the back room and have it blow out towards the living room( at least that's what a stove guy told me that I should do)

Screenshot_20230804-204823_Facebook.jpg

It's a decent medium-sized stove, but you might do better by buying a new Drolet and not worrying about issues.
If the goal is to heat the living room, then that is the best location for the stove.
Note that any new stove needs a safe and proper installation, a good flue system, dry firewood (not easy to buy), and proper operation.

Thanks so much for your reply yeah I was thinking is it better to buy an older wood stove or a newer one?I have a lot of firewood stacked and ready we have been cutting down a lot of trees but the trees were mostly maple and it definitely not dry yet we just started splitting it this year. Do you think 1200 is a good price for a stove like that

If it's in great condition, then yes, that's a good price. The price depends on the age of the stove, the amount of wood it has burned, and how well it has been maintained. I would not buy it sight unseen. Check for any cracked stones, hinge pin wear causing door misalignment, interior wear, cracked baffle board, etc.