Clearance from top of stove to granite hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BriHeat

Nov 25, 2023
Hebron CT
I'm looking to put a wood stove in our existing hearth, which I had a used insert in already.
I'm wondering if there are issues with the top of a stove nearly touching the 1/4" metal lintel that has 4.5" thick granite wall above.
This would be installing a wood stove as a partial insert. I found a good deal on a 2020 Heritage 8024 soapstone stove.
It has the pipe out the back. I was hoping to inset it a bit so It doesn't stick out so much into the room.

First, is there a full 6" stainless liner in the chimney that is in good condition? The main issues to watch out for are the stove needing 16" of hearth in front of the door and clearances to the mantel. With that little room, connecting the stove could be a bear unless there is plenty of room on the side. Another future issue will be cleaning the flue. Using a tee to at the bottom of the liner will help a lot if there is room on the side to uncap for cleaning.

Yes full 6" stainless flexible liner, thats 7 years old now. If the other clearances are good, will the granite hearth face be able to act as a heat sink? Or because it has regular mortar would it heat up and crumble over time at points closest to stove.
I realize it would be very difficult now to slide the heavy stove under the lintel without damage given 1/4" clearance.

The granite will probably be fine. Measure thrice. 1/4" does not allow for any wiggle room.

Yes full 6" stainless flexible liner, thats 7 years old now. If the other clearances are good, will the granite hearth face be able to act as a heat sink? Or because it has regular mortar would it heat up and crumble over time at points closest to stove.
I realize it would be very difficult now to slide the heavy stove under the lintel without damage given 1/4" clearance.
How do you plan on servicing this setup once done?

Catalyst comes out through the front door,
I would only have 6.5" on either side of the stove to connect the rear connector to a T, so that might also be an issue.
I would have to get the stove 4.5" under the lintel to get 16" on the hearth floor. Seems awful tight.

Catalyst comes out through the front door,
I would only have 6.5" on either side of the stove to connect the rear connector to a T, so that might also be an issue.
I would have to get the stove 4.5" under the lintel to get 16" on the hearth floor. Seems awful tight.
But how would you clean it every year

It would be connected to a cleanout T so I would top down clean it with a chimney brush,
then empty the ash out of the bottom of the T.

That was my concern posted earlier. Undoing the tee cap passing a 27" deep stove through a 6" gap does not sound practical. I recommend mocking up the stove body with cardboard first.

That was my concern posted earlier. Undoing the tee cap passing a 27" deep stove through a 6" gap does not sound practical. I recommend mocking up the stove body with cardboard first.
I work on a few setups like this and they suck to clean