MS391 Owners.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
390s are the best bang for the buck. Atleast new. i got a 660 like new for $800 with 2 bars.

OhioBurner© said:
smokinjay said:
trailrated said:
Huskyforlife said:
If you are upgrading from a 290 go to a Pro 361. Don't get me wrong, I have a MS390, but when I bought it new it was only about $120 more than a MS290, I think about $470. The 391 is alot more expensive than that, you might as well go 361 if you are going to spend $500+.

I didn't see a 361 at my dealer, and I'm not seeing one in the catalog. Was it replaced with the 362 maybe?

YES!

I just looked up the 362 it was retailing for $700 :bug: at my local dealers.... think I am going to have to pass on that upgrade :-S
I was thinking I would be willing to spend maybe $100-150 more than I did on my 290 (say up to $500) to get some more power but over $300 more is a bit much for me. Thats nearly double the cost!

Yea, 500 -550 is all I want to spend, thats why I was looking at the 391. Wonder why the 362 is cheaper than a 391?? Maybe because its a "pro" model??

when I go to the woods I throw in all 3 working saws - MS250 [little], Husky [middle], MS460 [big]. I have had the MS460 a couple of years and bought it for the reason mentioned in the original post. This saw with a 20 bar is an unbelievable cutting machine. Think it was about 800.00 bucks and it was worth every penny. I also have a 36 inch bar for it, I don't use it a lot so the diminished performance the the bigger bar isn't a deal. No regrets - it has power threw the whole RPM range.

Was just at the local stihl dealer (Torrington, CT) and they have a Demo 391 for $494 (tag says reduced from $550). Not sure how many hours a demo unit will have on it.

I also have a 290 and would not "upgrade" to another saw in the 290/310/390 series. These FYI are the same saw with only a different piston and cylinder. You know, you could always just put on the 390 P&C.

In your shoes, I would skip the Stihl and get the 6401 Makita. Mucho upgrade potential and a pro saw at 64cc. You can swap the P&C some day for the 73cc or 79cc version. Plus there are big bore kits beyond that. Stihl has priced themselves too high.

I like to buy saws on the bottom of the range since the bottom end stout enough to handle the bigger piston should have a long life if you use the small one.

Highbeam said:
I also have a 290 and would not "upgrade" to another saw in the 290/310/390 series. These FYI are the same saw with only a different piston and cylinder. You know, you could always just put on the 390 P&C.

In your shoes, I would skip the Stihl and get the 6401 Makita. Mucho upgrade potential and a pro saw at 64cc. You can swap the P&C some day for the 73cc or 79cc version. Plus there are big bore kits beyond that. Stihl has priced themselves too high.

I like to buy saws on the bottom of the range since the bottom end stout enough to handle the bigger piston should have a long life if you use the small one.

Yea but I'm not that mechanically inclined when it comes to choosing and changing piston/cylinders.

Status
Not open for further replies.