Mt McKinley from airplane window.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtcates

Mar 1, 2010
Central NC
I took this picture out of an airliner window at 23,000 feet while flying from Fairbanks to Anchorage. Just used a cheap camera but it was a magnificent photo opportunity.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 586
mtcates thats a great photo, how long was your stay in Alaska?

zap

zapny said:
mtcates thats a great photo, how long was your stay in Alaska?

zap

I visited a friend there for the entire month of February in 1999. Haven't been there since. I want to go in the summer next time. He lives in North Pole alaska about 10 miles out of Fairbanks.

Great Picture.
When you go again, take the bus ride from Denali National Park up to the observation lookout(about a 2 hour ride). We were told that the clouds surround Mt. Mckinley for all but about 10 days a year. Of course we were there when it was cloudy.

We were there back in the late 70's and did get to see the mountain. However, it was on our drive down towards Anchorage when we got to see the mountain. All our time in the park it was blocked with clouds. We were not disappointed though and loved everyplace we went in Alaska. And yes, we did go to North Pole too. Naturally though we did not get to all places we'd like to visit but that would take years. I would really enjoy going during winter if just to see the northern lights from that far north.

Beautiful!!!!!

Billy

I spent June-July 1997 in North Pole and travelled all over the state. The one day that we went to Denali, we got to the end of the road and the clouds broke for about 20 minutes. Incredible. I tell everybody that it is like being on another planet. I also had the benefit of seeing it from the air on the flight from Fairbanks to Anchorage on my way home.

bjkjoseph said:
i see russia!

That's freakin' hilarious, I don't care who you are.

That's a great pic, but boy does that look like a very unforgiving landscape.

dloveroflife said:
bjkjoseph said:
i see russia!

Nice one!! Isn't McKinley one of the top 10 for highest mountains?

I'm not sure of where it ranks in altitude but when measured from its own base it rises over 18,000 feet making it the largest mountain in the world. The base of McKinley is about 2000 feet and the summit is 20,320 feet. Everest is the highest mountain in the world but its base sits on the tibetan plateau and its base is 16,000 feet or so. It rises only 13,000 feet from its own base. So when looking at Mt. McKinley you are looking at the largest mountain in the world.

as an avid mountaineer that makes me very jealous. would love to climb something like that someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.