MT Vernon AE fire pot replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletkrzd

Hearth Supporter
Jan 2, 2010
northwest NJ
Just an FYI, dont know if others have experienced a deteriorating fire pot. Several months ago while cleaning stove I Noticed burn pot cut away in front of ignitor was odly shaped it wasnt a nice clean rectangular cut anymore. I alerted my dealer and he said maybe some build up was causing it to look odd. On my next cleaning I looked well with a mirror and light and could see the pot was obviously beginning to deteriorate. While closing stove up for season I figured this would be a good time to take out fire pot and inspect clean and repaint. Well after finally removing pot after bolt broke I discovered the pot was damaged. Pot was replaced without question by dealer under warranty. I installed new pot, gasket, and put anti seize on bolts for next years thorough cleaning. DOnt know if anyone else has experienced this problem, dealer did make comment that he has had to replace several pots this year. My stove was new in '08 and fortunately still under warranty. Dont think I am doing anything wrong. Stove does burn alot, use it to heat entire house, approx. 3000 sq. feet. I am fortunate house is laid out well and placement of stove worked out for us.

When you think of the temps and abuse that a burn pot has to resist, it's a wonder we do not see more of this. As long as Quad wants to continue to use cast iron, there will be the random pot which needs to be replaced. I suppose they could fashion them out of stainless or go back to ceramic...hopefully round 2 will work out better for you.

smwilliamson said:
When you think of the temps and abuse that a burn pot has to resist, it's a wonder we do not see more of this. As long as Quad wants to continue to use cast iron, there will be the random pot which needs to be replaced. I suppose they could fashion them out of stainless or go back to ceramic...hopefully round 2 will work out better for you.

remember what a pita the ceramic pots were?yikes!

Cast iron can be welded, just needs to be heated first.

Status
Not open for further replies.