Mt Vernon AE Insert Not Starting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have a 6yr old Mt Vernon insert that has worked really well for us so far. I have it cleaned in the offseason every year, and other than a cracked baffle replacement (under warranty) we've had no issues.

However, I'm getting a 'missed ignition' message and the stove will not start up. I checked the little holes in the firepot, and I am pretty sure I cleaned out the little slit where the ignitor is. I'm getting unburnt pellets in the ash pan when it auto-cleans between attempted starts, so I'm thinking the ignitor might be bad. I tried to see if it gets hot but I can't really tell. I've never seen the ignitor get hot so I don't know what it's supposed to look like.

Is there a way to test the ignitor before I order one and try to replace it? I'd rather do it myself for cost/time reasons (my local servicer can take a while and charges $$$). Is there something else I should be doing or testing?

Thanks!

If you pull out the ash pan when it goes for start up you should feel heat if the ignitor is working if not then you probably need an ignitor. Be careful when feeling up inside incase it is working.Kap posted on another thread that you can look through a slit to see if the ignitor turns red.

Last edited:
If you pull out the ash pan when it goes for start up you should feel heat if the ignitor is working if not then you probably need an ignitor. Be careful when feeling up inside incase it is working.Kap posted on another thread that you can look through a slit to see if the ignitor turns red.

It looks (and feels) to me that there is no heat as far as I can tell. I can see the curved ends of the ignitor from the ash pan cavity and it's not remotely red at all, just black. Is there a way to test it with an ohm meter or anything? Or is that a definitive that I need an ignitor. If so I'll order one ASAP.

Can anyone suggest a reliable online vendor? I saw there are a few that sell OEM parts and some that seem to maybe do 3rd party parts.

If it is not hot, it could be bad, but you can do a continuity test on it, or even bench test it with a cord with spade connectors on it. If it is good, then a fuse might be blown in control board. They make a wire harness now with inline fuses to save from having to take control board out and taking it apart to fix a blown fuse. And I would stick with OEM parts as lots of folks have complained about after market parts. Remember there are two igniters for the AE. The 300 watt for just burning pellets, and the original, 380 watt. And make sure when reinstalling an igniter that you put the wires up in the bracket to keep them out of the way of auto clean. Just feel up there before taking old one out, and you can feel where they go. And it is a pain in the backside to get the spade connector ends thru the opening in side of stove. Look at opening and you can tell which way ends need to be, to get pushed thru opening. kap

Reactions: hooter04