Mt. Vernon AE Vent flange gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvey Schneider

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2012
Southbury, CT
Recently when doing a thorough cleaning of my MVAE insert, I managed to tear the vent flange gasket. There is no reason why I can't replace it with another fiberglass reinforced silicone rubber gasket.
I think it might be easier to put together and seal with a high temperature RTV silicone, like Permatex Ultra Copper.
Can anybody see a reason not to use this instead of the silicone rubber sheet material?

Once thing that comes to mind is that the fiberglass reinforced silicone rubber gasket may be a bit thicker/stronger thus maintaining a better seal under vibration and or expansion/contraction cycles.

Last edited:
What did you end up doing? Did you get a replacement gasket or decide to give the RTV a go?

What did you end up doing? Did you get a replacement gasket or decide to give the RTV a go?
My sheet of gasket material arrived yesterday so I cut a new gasket. The new gasket is a bit thinner than the original but seems to be okay.
The seal isn't as tight as it should be so I may butter it with RTV later. Sometimes the seal improved after the first couple of firings. If it does improve, I'll leave it alone until next cleaning.

Could you please share what and where you got this? Thanks.

This is thinner, harder, denser than the original gasket. It cuts easily with a utility knife. One sheet will yield four vent flange gaskets. If I cut them undersized, I could probably get more, but full sized is easy to handle.
Instead of cutting holes for the two posts, I just made a slit. That way the gasket lays flat and stable while I wrestle with the 4" SS duct.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231337543117?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Reactions: mralias
Status
Not open for further replies.