Mt Vernon E2 I'm confuuuussseddd

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firepants

Sep 7, 2015
Red Oak Ia
I apologize if this is a repeat thread! I have been researching pellet stoves and the more I research the more confused I get. But anyway... We are leaning toward a quadra Mt vernon E2. I need opinions on it. I read a few reviews where there were problems. Are these stoves to stay away from? No matter what stove I research seems I read a lot of negative. Does the E2 require a lot of in depth maintenance? We would like to heat a good portion of our 1800 sf home with it. We like the style, output, and the price is ok with the online coupon. Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance from firepants in a muddle

I apologize if this is a repeat thread! I have been researching pellet stoves and the more I research the more confused I get. But anyway... We are leaning toward a quadra Mt vernon E2. I need opinions on it. I read a few reviews where there were problems. Are these stoves to stay away from? No matter what stove I research seems I read a lot of negative. Does the E2 require a lot of in depth maintenance? We would like to heat a good portion of our 1800 sf home with it. We like the style, output, and the price is ok with the online coupon. Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance from firepants in a muddle
I have read the problem E2 threads. Seems as if they were exploding,the fix for it was to replace the electronics to change how the stove operates to fix the problem. After the fix some E2 owners complained of low heat not heating as good as it used to. That's what I have observed from my reading, although it seems as if the problem of exploding has been fixed its btu rating may be reduced from what is advertised.

I think with the fix there is reduced btu's. I was on renewable heat ny and they state the output is way down to 25000. I don't know if that is right but thats what they are saying now. That might be tough to heat 1800 sq. ft house. might want to look into the mt vernon ae, enviro m55 cast, enviro meridian cast or harman xxv if you want that look

If you can afford to step up from the E2 to a AE go for it. The AE is a awesome unit.

If you can afford to step up from the E2 to a AE go for it. The AE is a awesome unit.
I'd love to step up to an AE, we are unfortunately trying to stay within a budget:( Does anyone know anything about the enviro meridian cast iron? Been checking that one out a bit.

its a new cast surround stove with a tried and true meridian engine...seems like it is going to be a good one. I haven't seen one in person yet. I think it only comes in flat black for now.

I think with the fix there is reduced btu's. I was on renewable heat ny and they state the output is way down to 25000. I don't know if that is right but thats what they are saying now. That might be tough to heat 1800 sq. ft house. might want to look into the mt vernon ae, enviro m55 cast, enviro meridian cast or harman xxv if you want that look

That study shows the E2 at 42200. If you look at the max btu column, the data has been shifted down one cell on the spreadsheet (otherwise they would have the P68 at 31300 instead of 53500). I heated 3000 square feet of an 18th century home with an E2 and very little supplemental oil heat last year, and didn't notice a discernible difference when the new board was installed. Granted it wasn't the dead of winter when it was switched, but still cold, so we'll see how she does this year. I'm still pleased with the stove and will reserve criticism until we get into the cold temps this year..

I didn't notice that...good point about the p68. I hope it works out the e2 is a sweet looking stove for sure. I almost got that but I got a wicked deal on the xxv that I couldn't pass up.

Well we finally went with a used quadrafire Castile off of Craigslist. Paid 1500$, 4 years old with 2 log sets. I hope we are satisfied! I'm pretty sure we'll have to use supplement heat for our upstairs but we're ok with that.

Do a search and start reading up on your Castile .... If you didn't get a manual, go to the quadrafire website and download one. They usually have an owner resources section that may have videos to help you along with operating and cleaning chores.

PS Welcome to the Forum!

Good luck with the Castile, a pretty pellet stove but a little light on the btus for 1800sqft. The E2 is a superb heater, its the quietest pellet stove I've heard (or not heard..) but as you is pricey. Most people that we have changed the control board out on has reported they like it, the manners and startups are quicker too. A recent change has been done to the E2, it went to a wired digital programmable thermostat vice the remote control tstat they were using. The Cast Meridian is very nice looking too, its still new to look at but has the same burn engine the steel version all these years. Hope your Castile works for you, it too is a very nice stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.