Mt. Vernon (older style) convection blower question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AHeyVernon

Feb 1, 2014
Montana
Hey all;

After 10 solid years my OEM convection blower gave up the ghost, so I bought a new one today. However, the new one doesn't seem to be as good (seemingly) as the original in the way of heat output. Did they change the way these blowers operate since the good old days when the older style Mt. Vernon came out? Is there something I need to adjust on my stove to get it working like it used to? Just curious!

On my Castile when I replaced mine I did notice it was a little off. I used some washers to level it to fit into the frame.

I do think a lot of parts have changed and don't seem to last as long.

But all these parts are always on so they sure do work hard

On my Castile when I replaced mine I did notice it was a little off. I used some washers to level it to fit into the frame.

I do think a lot of parts have changed and don't seem to last as long.

But all these parts are always on so they sure do work hard

Oh really?! I didn't think of that....sheesh! So, the reason the heat output isn't that great is because it's sitting too low in the frame, well, possibly? Hmmmm....thank you for that tip! :)

It's kind of a dumb setup if u really look at it. The heat is the most important thing and it kind of just sits there. There is a gap between the blower. It's not much but u would think it would be like a boot or great seal

I ended up putting aluminum tape around so there was no gaps. This is on a insert btw

It's kind of a dumb setup if u really look at it. The heat is the most important thing and it kind of just sits there. There is a gap between the blower. It's not much but u would think it would be like a boot or great seal

I ended up putting aluminum tape around so there was no gaps. This is on a insert btw

So, would it be adequate to raise the blower using washers AND seal off any remaining gap w/ aluminum tape or would the washer method be enough?

It doesn't hurt anything and it's a tighter seal. Maybe the shims will work if u notice it off a little.

It doesn't hurt anything and it's a tighter seal. Maybe the shims will work if u notice it off a little.

Well, I tried the shim trick and it definitely tightened up the gap, but the symptoms remain the same. Is there something else I should be looking at perhaps or am I stuck w/ a blower that's weaker than the factory one that came w/ my stove?

Lots of folks have complained of after market fans not working as well as factory. kap

Buy a bigger one and make it fitt

Some don't have the same rpm's , others don't have the same amount of fan blades. And all bearings are sealed units. You may be able to inject some oil into them. You have it out. Don't cost nothing to play with it. kap

Status
Not open for further replies.