Mt Vernon Startup/Shutdown Cycling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jburkard

Jan 15, 2009
Bowdoinham, Maine
I purchased a new Mt Vernon that was installed about a month ago, and I just now worked out the problems and have it heating the house! I wanted to post out here so hopefully someone else having the same problem can find a solution.

The stove burned wonderfully the first weekend I had it, but shortly after that it started exhibiting the problem. It would turn on, get through startup mode and usually into SS-Low or SS-Med mode with a good flame going. But then it would switch to shutdown mode and autoclean. And repeat. Occasionally it would have a good startup and stay going for several cleaning cycles, but then it would have the problem again.

I called my stove shop, and they had me try changing from utility pellet to softwood and to hardwood fuel types, and raising and lowering the flame height. After changing to hardwood and lowering to -5 I managed to get it to burn for a day, but then same problem. They ordered all the electronics, control board, wall control, thermocouple, etc. and I waited 3 weeks for everything to come in (burning oil the whole time, since I had removed my little Intrepid II to put in the Mt Vernon). After waiting the 3 weeks (did I mention I was burning oil?) and being too impatient to wait for the service call, I dropped by the stove shop to pick up the parts and try changing them myself. At this point the salesman listened to my problem and went through the parts saying "this wouldn't cause that problem, neither would this..." and eventually said it might be the thermocouple, but it sounded to him like bad pellets. So I went off, steaming a little, to try changing pellets and maybe a thermocouple.

I poured in the new pellets (no brand on the bag, but they're Canadian) and they worked great! I read online that the Maine Woods Pellets I had purchased had some moisture and crumbling problems, and vowed to remember to always try a few bags before buying any pallets. I want to buy Maine pellets when possible - it's always greener to buy local - so I'll continue to try out my local pellets and get them when they're working well for me. After the Canadian bag ran out I put in some more of mine and noticed that the flame was lower, there was more ash, and I had some misstarts. So I bought a ton of the Canadian pellets.

I got the new pellets home, poured a bag in the stove, and IT WOULDN'T START!!!

It was at this point that I found the solution in this forum - someone mentioned that the thermocouple cover had to be touching the end of the thermocouple. I readjusted mine and it's been working flawlessly for the last couple of days. Now I love the stove, love burning pellets, the whole thing's great! :)

Thanks for running an contributing to such a great and helpful forum! I'm going to keep my eye on it and contribute what I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.