Mt Vernon stays in Autoclean mode

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frstr8td

Jan 13, 2015
Mississippi
Hi fellow pellet burners, I've received a lot of good info on this site, but couldn't find any postings for this particular problem. I've got a 2012 Quad Mt Vernon. The unit stays in Autoclean mode. The bolt holding the Autoclean motor on to the wall of the ashpan compartment stripped out. I replaced that bolt and the motor is anchored tight to it's mount. When I turn the stove on it stays in Autoclean mode. Auto clean runs for a while and then I get a Check Ashpan error message. My dealer doesn't seem to want to call back about this issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Unplug the stove. Remove the nut and bolt from the autoclean arm. The bottom of the burn pot can now be manually moved left and right. Move it around a few times. Does it slide rough? You should be able to move it with your index finger if all is clean and well. If not, force it until you knock whatever crap off. Clean the rails of the autoclean using some wd40 sprayed on a paper towel.

When was the last time you cleaned and scraped the burnpot floor? Feel around in there, is it rough with carbon deposits? If so get out the metal tool and start scraping it off.

When all clean close the burnpot floor and align the arm, secure it with the bolt and nut. Turn on the stove, it should cycle through an autoclean but actually complete it.

It is very likely carbon buildup is blocking the system from operating (I've been there).

John193, Thanks for the reply. I've done all that you suggested. When I take the bolt off the arm the bottom of the burn pot moves freely. I cleaned the burn pot and the bottom thoroughly. It still stays in Auto clean and the Check Ash pan error code still comes up. I noticed that when the bottom of the fire pot closes it doesn't close all the way. It stays open about 1/8 inch. Then it continues to open again and return back to the near closed position.

Mine stays open about an 1/8 of an inch as well. That is ok. So even when closed it still gives the error? Does it struggle when cleaning?

Try disconnecting the arm again and force the stove into autoclean by unplugging and plugging back in with the arm disconnected and report what it does.

I disconnected the arm and restarted the stove. It ran through five back and forth cycles and then displayed the Check ash pan error. When the arm is disconnected there is very little resistance for the floor of the burn pot to move.
I seems that the micro switch might be the problem. How do I find the auto clean micro switch?

Last edited:
Pot floor should close all the way. To find micro switch, you need to take left panel off. You will also have to remove the control board. There is a plate behind it on right side on stove you will have to remove. The auto-clean motor and micro switch is behind it. If you look under left side of stove, you can see the motor sticking down. You can also open the stove door, and put a magnet on the door sensor to fool it into thinking it is closed. Then unplug stove and plug back in. It will go thru auto-clean cycle. When floor is getting close to closed, stick a screwdriver in one of the holes in the pot floor and help it to close all the way. This should stop cycle. kap

Kap, I tried your suggestion. It's still staying in Auto clean. Would the micro switch be the next thing to check? This stove is an insert. Can I get to the switch without pulling the stove out? Thanks for your help.

You can try without pulling. Just have to see how easy it is or isn't without pulling it out. Micro switch would be my guess. kap

Just remember how fragile those wire ends are on the control board. You may be able to just unhook board from its bracket and let hang. Make sure to unplug stove before starting. kap

I was about to ask how the stove knew it was still in the cleaning cycle. The microswitch would be my prime suspect. It's either bad, misadjusted, or has a bad connection/broken wire somewhere. If you have a meter, you could test the switch and its circuitry.

Status
Not open for further replies.