much thanks to this forum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbotom1052

Jan 14, 2015
vermont
So after purchasing this new to me, Hearthstone Heritage stove, I went about the task of refurbishing. Wound up sealing up all the seams with furnace cement. Replaced all the gaskets along with the ceramic baffle. Touched up the brown paint, and gave a good cleaning.
Then took on the job of installing a new 25 foot chimney liner, top plate, rain cap, and finally custom fabbed block off plate. The only real snag I encountered was when it came to stuffing 25 feet of liner down my chimney that sits atop a very steep roof. Wound up having to rent a boom lift in order to do this job safely.
None of this would have been possible without input of many of this forums members. For this I am grateful and want to send out a big THANK YOU. Heres a few pics of the install and final product. Now alls I need is some chill in the air to see how it all works.

Attachments

• blockoffplate3.jpg
    blockoffplate3.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 163
  • cap1.jpg
    cap1.jpg
    665.8 KB · Views: 181
  • blockoffinstalled1.jpg
    blockoffinstalled1.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC_0200.jpg
    DSC_0200.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 170
Nice looking install! From the looks of the wood above the fireplace, previous owners had a little trouble with extreme burns!!! Suggestion, may want to move the extinguisher a little farther away JIC.

How old's the house?

house is a late 1800s post and beam farm house. Preious people just burned big logs standing up on end in fireplace. Im not sure but i think this is the homes first woodstove. Fire extinguisher will be replaced with a new one and mounted on wood trim further away before burning commences. Im on my way out now to get myself a couple of things like a new thermometer and some stove paint to paint the chimney liner, along with new stove implements and extinguisher.

Good to hear on the extinguisher:) Good luck on painting the liner - not sure how well the paint will handle the heat. Most require a wipe down with acetone to get good adherence. Keep us posted on how you make out with that...

That is a big change. Congratulations. If you have a good supply of fully seasoned wood then you are ready for ole man winter.

PS: The best place for the fire extinguisher is near the exit to the room.

Im on my way out now to get myself a couple of things like

Don't forget the Smoke and CO alarms! Flue block plate looks clean and professional, nice install.

Good Job on the Block Off Plate. Mine ended up 60" x 24" and I packed Roxul on top of it.... You should be Wayyyyyy More efficient now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.