1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Mulberry Syrup

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Buckeye 2012, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Buckeye 2012

Buckeye 2012 New Member

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    Anyone ever tap mulberry trees and make syrup? I have two larger mulberry trees on my property about two years cut a couple low branches off so I could mow under. In the two years since these cuts have continued to bleed sap, lots and lots. I thought they would have healed over by now. Just wondering if anyone has ever tapped one and what the sap would taste like after boiled down. Wonderful trees ,right now full of fruit and wild life.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Applesister

Applesister Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Never heard of tapping this tree but my best friend used to collect the berries and made kick a$$ mulberry wine. She put sheets out to trap the berries before they hit the ground. Red Mulberry not the White.
  3. Applesister

Applesister Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Like a dark port, two glasses and you have to call a taxi.
  4. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    So that's what they mean when they call it a good wildlife tree. ==c
  5. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Mulberry sap has a lot of latex in it and I would not want to eat it. Supposedly figs (related to mulberry) is the most common sap that is collected for eating from that family of trees.

The fruit is edible though, and I like eating them. They only get sweet right before they fall off the tree though, and so you need to pick the fruit when they are really dark in color.
    ScotO likes this.
  6. Buckeye 2012

Buckeye 2012 New Member

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    Thanks for the info
  7. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Mulberry is one of my favorite fruits. My grandma had two of those and we spent hours over there eating those.
    ScotO and PA. Woodsman like this.
  8. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Emmaus, Pennsylvania

My grandmother had a Mulberry tree in her backyard too; I used to grab a handful of them every time I would pass by there with the lawn mower and eat them as I cut her grass. Used to almost slip and fall on the ones on the ground too-they made for some slippery footing lol! They're both gone now, my "nana" and the tree....where's my hanky?....:(
    Ralphie Boy, ScotO and Joful like this.