Mulching yard waste

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ashful's yard sounds nice, despite the maintenance. It must be nice to enjoy it as it kept maintained. I am sure that Ashful has remained in pretty good physical shape taking care of the several acres.

I've made peace with just hiring the local tree and stump grinding crew every spring for $1500 to take down a problematic tree or two, chip random brush, grind out some stumps, etc. It is a pretty good deal, overall, and I don't have to buy and maintain any more equipment (chippers, dump trailers, etc.). My old tractor and trailer help me get the little stuff done that is not worth paying someone to do. It's a pretty good deal, overall, and they are happy to provide me with a basically unlimited supply of ramial wood chips for my yard and 1/2 acre mini-farm plot I am gradually developing in one of my fields.

I'll probably buy a $100 string-trimmer-based electric leaf shredder this fall and see how that works. Combined with my lawn mower to shred lawn leaves, I'm hoping that will take care of my leaf shredding needs.

Interesting post, DBoon. Maybe we need a whole thread on our lawn care routines?

I do all of my mowing, trimming, fertilizer, seeding, and tree maintenance myself. But since I'm garbage at identifying good perennials from bad weeds, and don't know as much about shrubbery care as I probably should, I hire out the care of the flower and shrub gardens to a horticulturalist. He visits about 6 times each year, starting around April 1 and ending around Thanksgiving. I appreciate not having to keep up with all of that weeding, in addition to the other chores, and he keeps the gardens looking way better than I ever could on my own.