Multi-floor heating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goallight

Oct 8, 2014
New Jersey
Hello,

Forgive me if all of this has been answered but not all of it is jumping out at me. I have a two story home that currently has a Vermont Castings SR42 zero clearance fireplace which was installed by the previous owner. I would like to replace this with a high efficiency zero clearance wood burning fireplace instead.

1. Long shot, and I think no, but can I reuse the existing steel chimney? I do not have a masonary chimney.

2. Some things are over engineered in my house (some under) is there a good way to tell what type of existing chimney I have before I go ripping it out?

3. I am reading it is possible to put a forced hot air type system off of some units. Is this true? Do you use it, and do they work well? I would really like to use this to heat both floors.. Are the "zones" able to be baffled?

4. I keep looking at the pacific energy units. Does anyone have one of these? Do you like it? Would you recommend another brand, and why?

Here are some specs on my house.

1. Home is northern NJ
2. approx 3000sq feet
3. Home is 2 stories
4. floorplan is not open
5. Top floor is 12 ft ceilings.
6. full attic
7. House is a 12/12 roof (very steep!..and tall)
8. No masonary chimney
9. I do not have a hearth under my fireplace and I do not want one. I would like a flush wall mount.

Thank you for any help

Colder climate, big house, 2 stories, closed floorplan, big ceilings,,,,,,,,, you have a tough bill to fill!

Since you didn't state it, I'm guessing that the current stove just doesn't heat as much as you'd wish it to? Other than efficiency, what makes you not happy with the current unit that you are hoping the next one will provide?

What sort of temps do you see in the area of the stove while it is cranking? Are you burning 24/7? Are you OK with supplementary heat or are you trying to heat everything with wood? Do you cut/split/stack/season your own wood? or do you buy from a delivery service? Do you use bio bricks, eco blocks, or similar man made fuel?

More info may help with a better answer.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck!

A good ZC fireplace that can be ducted makes sense here. That will help distribute the heat. You'll still need some sort of hearth in front of the fireplace even if flush. This will catch the ashes and embers that occasionally spill out of the fireplace on reloading. Look into Kozy, BIS, Valcourt, Flame, Pacific Energy and Quadrafire fireplaces for starters.

@pen. It is not a stove it is an open fireplace with zero efficiency. I plan on using this as supplemental heat. and yes my bill is heavy. about $5500/year for my propane....and I don't even use it for cooking :( . I do have access to free wood (cut/split/stack/season myself) but probably will purchase the occasional cord here and there. I have used bio bricks and like them so I might use them as well. I am guessing you are wondering if I am open to pellets. Yes I am but I prefer wood since I have free access to some.

@begreen. I should have said I do have a hearth but it is level with the floor. I don't want the elevated kind (not sure if it is called something else). The brands you mention you mention I am looking at but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the use of the duct systems. I think some are "powered" and some are gravity.I do like the look of the pacific units the most so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.