Mushrooms on firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyWayne718

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2009
Kentucky
I have shrooms growin on the ends of my splits but its only one section. What is this from?

CodyWayne718 said:
Back to the mushroom statment, I have shrooms growin on the ends of my splits but its only one section. What is this from?

Moisture / the right environment. Perhaps too much wood stacked in a low ventilation area too close to either another row or some object. Too much shade? Tarp not allowing ventilation? At the end of the day, mushroom spores are all over but will only take where it's an appropriate growth medium.

What kind of "shrooms" are we talking here? Pics?

pen

I don't know how this got made into a thread with a name. I posted this in one of soupys threads. Wow

I'll get some pics this weekend. Thanks. Its prolly from where I park my truck, now that you say that.

I made it into it's own thread. While your topic was related to Soups, leaving your question in his post is called "threadjacking."

Your question would receive more attention in it's own thread.

pen

Thanks pen. Wasn't tryin to jack his thread by any means :)

pen said:
What kind of "shrooms" are we talking here?

What are you gettin at here Pen? :red:

There is something different with the wood than say dirt. I get these in the wood mulch in the garden during wet periods after letting the mulch go a year or two without tilling it in. I never see them in the soil.

Attachments

• 081111 shrooms.jpg
    081111 shrooms.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 286
likely wood decay fungi

they are part of the decomposition process.
I get huge ones on stacks with no roofs to help keep the rain off.

Usually dead at the first frost and fall off.

I've seen some large ones even grow on live trees.
Hope this is not a bad sign because they are oaks.

I've seen wood stored in a very low moisture environment (good shed) that still had a few of those. I think there is simply enough moisture in the wood to get them started in some cases, even w/out additional moisture from rain / poor drying conditions.

My point would be that in general, if fungi is found on the wood really consider your wood storage habits and be certain that they are not the culprit.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.