music while cutting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If splitting or stacking I usually have some tunes going but not when im cutting.

i normally leave it until the cuttin is done and i'm splitting.

cass

I do not like these for the "too easy to have no clue what is going on around you" factor.

I use an old Farmall 450 to pull logs. Tractor runs great, but the brakes are not so very good at whoa-ing the old girl. My friend has a late model New Holland 30 horse tractor. He was driving down a grade on a service road in the middle of his wooded acreage, and I was following at a good distance (probably 15-20 seconds behind him). For some reason he stops dead in the middle of the hill. I throttle down and start yelling for all I am worth (if I push the clutch down and apply brakes, I would have sped up on this grade) but he can't hear me over the music in his headphones. When I get about 30 feet from him and he still can't hear me, I shut the tractor down (I was only at idle anyway). I was almost stopped as I neared him, but was still going to have to steer into the woods to miss a light collision with him. Just as I was aiming up at my desired small tree I was going to run big red into, he finally noticed I was coming (visually, not by hearing my cursing / yelling) and he moved forward, I brought it back on the road, and we had a brief "oh poo" moment/session, then had to go through the hassle of chaining up the tractors together to safely get mine restarted.

I've gone up and down this hill dozens upon dozens of times, and was in a low enough gear to do it safely, so long as this didn't happen. I was in the wrong for following in that gear and with those brakes, and he was in the wrong for not having anyway to hear me / stopping for no good reason. Bottom line is, it doesn't matter which wrong was worse, all he had to do was hear me (which he would have had no problems doing with standard ear plugs or muffs) and this would have been a non-issue.

Saving one's hearing is a wise idea, doing so while losing the ability to pay attention to one's surroundings is unwise.

pen

Reactions: Bacffin
This was the first thing I thought of.............

Dag nabbit. Every time there is even a mention of this danged song it's stuck in my head for days...

PS I always fell sans hearing protection. Bucking, though, is a different story.

I never play music while cutting. Listening to tunes or an athletic event while hand-splitting or stacking is one of my favorite things to do.

Just the saw and the woods. When I'm not cutting, brotha its country

One thing I like about doing this as part of a hobby is getting away from all the noise of the day. I like to work alone, just me and nature. I love to hear the sound of wood as it splits, the sounds of dry seasoned wood as it bangs together while stacking and the sound of the wind whispering through the tops of the trees when I take a break for a drink. Often I start the day with something on my mind and by the time I'm done I can't remember what it was I was worried about. Hum, lets call it "Wood Therapy."

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Listen to music while cutting?! Doesn't sound safe to me. I listen to the quietness of the woods and sounds from the tree while felling.

For bucking I wear ear protection - no need to go deaf sooner than necessary.

For splitting and stacking I listen to music about half the time.

On occasion I will listen to pandora radio during the stacking portion. Never during the cutting or splitting.

Nature and my saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.