MWP Softwood Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

subsailor

Minister of Fire
Dec 8, 2011
Winthrop, Maine
The local farm supply store moved into a new building and had a semi-open house today. Member Mepellet tipped me off that a rep from MWP was going to be there giving out free samples (I managed to get a couple bags). I got a chance to talk to the rep, Scot Bubier, for a couple of minutes. Their run of softwood pellets will occur within the next couple of weeks. They're waiting on the bag material. I asked why they didn't make more of the softwood pellets. He said the demand for their blend pellets is so strong that they only have a small window in which to produce the softwood. If they had more opportunities to make it they would.

He also asked for feedback on the softwood pellets. If anyone tries them and wants to respond, his
e-mail is [email protected].

good,

We'll If I could find them down here? I would give them sofies a review. Problem is my local dealer only gets a limited quanity so they couldn't sell by the bag. Scot Bubier if you could hook me up some how? :cool:

JT, e-mail him. I don't believenhe visits here.

I do too.

JT, e-mail him. I don't believenhe visits here.

With the BC's softies going for mucho bucks. MWP could do some damage with their softwoods this season. As long as the dealers don't get too carried away and jack the prices to high.

I'd just like to see how they compared to the blend and length of burn to other softies? I'll get some somewhere. I will send along an email to him. ;)

With the BC's softies going for mucho bucks. MWP could do some damage with their softwoods this season. As long as the dealers don't get too carried away and jack the prices to high.

I'd just like to see how they compared to the blend and length of burn to other softies? I'll get some somewhere. I will send along an email to him. ;)

I would love to see you test them as I'm curious as to how they compare with the Okies and Spruce Pointes. I have a ton on order with SIB, who I sure you've heard us Mainers talk about. The price I was quoted for the softies was 235 delivered. From what I heard today, they are mostly pine with maybe 5-10% spruce in them.

My brothers running the hardware store here in Michigan are selling softwood pellets ($189/ton right now) and say that customers are very very happy with them. Extremely low ash content per hundred pounds (like 4 ounces) light easily and produce as much heat per pound as blends or straight hardwood. They say a lot of people are switching.

BTW....right now is the time to buy for next season. Price on these going into winter was $249/ton.

My brothers running the hardware store here in Michigan are selling softwood pellets ($189/ton right now) and say that customers are very very happy with them. Extremely low ash content per hundred pounds (like 4 ounces) light easily and produce as much heat per pound as blends or straight hardwood. They say a lot of people are switching.

BTW....right now is the time to buy for next season. Price on these going into winter was $249/ton.

Unfortunately us folks in Maine don't see the discount prices a lot of places do. Transportation costs impact us quite a bit.

I was told that mwp is only doing a limited run of the softwood. The batch may not make it out of the state. I have a ton on order from SIB also. Along with 3 tons of the hardwood blend.

3,000 tons is what steve told me they're making.

I would love to see you test them as I'm curious as to how they compare with the Okies and Spruce Pointes. I have a ton on order with SIB, who I sure you've heard us Mainers talk about. The price I was quoted for the softies was 235 delivered. From what I heard today, they are mostly pine with maybe 5-10% spruce in them.

$235 is a nice price. With Okies/sprucies near $300, there is a good chance some will look towards the MWP. By the time they get down here, We'll probably see prices over $260/ton. Still saving us a few buck.

I'm betting they will be close to the BC stuff in the ash department. Probably not as dense, So heat might be slightly lower. But in turn will burn somewhat longer. Moisture content would also play a roll in how much heat is produced along with pellet size. I have been please with the MWP blend, So I expect the softwoods to be as good or better.

I am also very curious with these. It could be a good case point for fiber having an effect. If the softies are made very similar to the blend(size-density-moisture-ect). With the only major difference being the fiber and they crank more heat? Some will know where I'm going with this. ;)

If I am lucky I can get some of the MWP softies here on the NH seacoast. Based on other prices I have seen the SIB prices of $215 & $235 would not be a bad way to build a five ton stash of hardwood & softies :)

I ordered 5 tons of the MWP Softwood.

I burned 1 ton this past season and loved them (still have 1 ton). I also burned 2 tons of the MWP blend and thought it was the worst pellet I have ever burned. Burning through my remaining CleanFire Pacifics (2.6 tons), and although the heat is good, the ash level in unacceptable for a "premium/super premium" pellet.

I ordered 5 tons of the MWP Softwood.

I burned 1 ton this past season and loved them (still have 1 ton). I also burned 2 tons of the MWP blend and thought it was the worst pellet I have ever burned. Burning through my remaining CleanFire Pacifics (2.6 tons), and although the heat is good, the ash level in unacceptable for a "premium/super premium" pellet.
You going to mix the rest of the mwp hardwood to finish burning them?

I also burned 2 tons of the MWP blend and thought it was the worst pellet I have ever burned.

They burn just fine in my stove, but every stove is different. Some people even burn Maine Choice and think they're a good pellet!

Reactions: save$
...............................Some people even burn Maine Choice and think they're a good pellet!

Subsailor, April first was yesterday!

Good point, but I see people buying them all the time.

Yeah,...... I may have bough a ton a couple weeks ago without trying them first. I'll be paying the price for a while.

one thing for sure, mwp blend has the biggest variance in opinions people hold about them.

imma keep buying them.

Reactions: save$
This is what Squier in Monson, MA is selling them for in the months of April and May with 1/2 off delivery cost. Okies are $289/ton which is $10 higher than last winter's price. They list Okies as ash @ .39% and BTU @ 8211.

----------------------------------Ash--BTU-Ton-14 Ton load
MAINE WOODS 100% SOFTWOOD 0.45% 8506 $269 $264 N/A
WOOD PELLET

Status
Not open for further replies.