MWP stink

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heat seeker

Minister of Fire
Feb 25, 2011
Northern CT
Literally - they smell like wood/chemicals, very strongly. My garage smells terrible since I brought this ton of Maine Wood Pellets home. When I dump them in the stove, the smell is overwhelming. GF is not a complainer, and she says they stink horribly.

They burn with a bit less heat than the Instant Heats, and a good bit less than the Green Supremes I had.

There are also lots of large embers that blow out of the burnpot and lie inside the stove like so many cigarette butts.

I won't be buying these again! I've burned about 6 different brands in the year I've had the stove, and these are the worst so far. Live and learn.

Attachments

• IMG_2920.jpg
    IMG_2920.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 550
iIMHO, call the company. They will stand behind their product. Your experience is the exception for this pellet. This company did a lot to clean their act up. There are several MWP burners on this forum who attest to the very good quality of this brand.

I'm halfway through my first ton of MWP with another coming next week. My pellets are in the log cabin MWP bag, not the bags sold at TSC and others. I haven't noticed any odors like you're experiencing. If it's as bad as you say, I would think it would have been noticable during production. It makes me think something happened outside of the plant.

Not a bad idea - do you know where I can get the number, or, better, their e-mail?

I had read the favorable reviews here about the pellets, so I had no qualms about buying a ton of them. Just proves that I should have bought a few bags first, to try.

I've been burning,"MAINE WOOD PELLETS" since 2008 till present. They had some problems in 2009,but they have taken care of those.I bought 12 tons in 2010 and am just finishing those up,as of now.These have given me good heat and very little ash.As a matter of fact I AM receving four tons tomorrow .I have already tried the new pellets out and my stoves loves them .We all know that all stoves are not alike ,plus we all operate our stoves,our own ways. I would not down any pellets that I tried and found not as good in my stoves. They might be just fine for someone else .To many variables to pass judgment on others product. I have 1 Englander 55-shp-22 and 1-55-shp-pepi. The 55-shp-22 loves MAINE WOOD PELLETS. The 55-shp-pepi dose not .

I burned those to start the year and they smelled fine and put out good heat, something must have gone wrong.

Thanks, Smokey. Now I'm thinking something happened to them on the way. I wonder if they were stored with some chemicals, or rode in a truck with some, or whatever. I'll contact them and see what happens. FWIW, I bought them at TSC. Maybe I should contact them and see if they had other complaints.

i'm on my fourth ton.

my g/f is a complainer. lol!

not so much a complainer as she will definitely say if something smells.
i've had absolutely no problem with these pellets.

and with four tons in one room in the basement, we'd have noticed.

heat seeker said:
Thanks, Smokey. Now I'm thinking something happened to them on the way. I wonder if they were stored with some chemicals, or rode in a truck with some, or whatever. I'll contact them and see what happens. FWIW, I bought them at TSC. Maybe I should contact them and see if they had other complaints.

I think your problem lies with TSC, not MWP. From what I've read on here, Scott at MWP wants to put out a good product, so I can't believe they would let something like you're describing out of the plant.

Okay, I sent TSC an email to see what they say. With all the support for MWP here, I am suspecting a problem after they left the factory. I will let you all know what happens. I'm sure MWP would want to know if there's a problem in shipping or storage, too.

Thanks to all!

I'm not sure if this is the smell that you are referring to, but mine have a smell as well. The smell is the same as North Americans/Currans, but isn't quite as pungent with the MWP. Others have described this smell as waxy or like crayons, but to me it is like some kind of beans.
This smell is there in general, but I haven't notices any smell while burning.
My wifey has a good nose, and has complained about the way that Green Supreme/NEWP smell while burning, so I don't burn them any longer, but she hasn't complained about the MWP or NA as of yet.
I'm not a fan of the smell, but I like the way these pellets burn, so unless I find out it is hazardous I'll continue to search out these pellets (keep us posted). ;-)

It must be true about stoves not burning the same, for the only pellet on my list that were bad for me was instant heat (was the first pellet I burned and the installer hadn't set the damper properly, so may test these again), but MWP is one of my favorites.

1D

I can't say enough good about them. I will be looking for them next season. I store them inside also, no smell. I mean they are a wood product, so they do have wood smell.

Tom C.

heat seeker said:
Literally - they smell like wood/chemicals, very strongly. My garage smells terrible since I brought this ton of Maine Wood Pellets home. When I dump them in the stove, the smell is overwhelming. GF is not a complainer, and she says they stink horribly.

They burn with a bit less heat than the Instant Heats, and a good bit less than the Green Supremes I had.

There are also lots of large embers that blow out of the burnpot and lie inside the stove like so many cigarette butts.

I won't be buying these again! I've burned about 6 different brands in the year I've had the stove, and these are the worst so far. Live and learn.

Now that you mention it, there was about 3 days while I was burning my ton that when I walked through the door, I noticed a chemical like smell....I didn't even think about the MWP since I had burned probably 35 bags at the time....Weird...Maybe it was them maybe not

silverfox103 said:
I can't say enough good about them. I will be looking for them next season. I store them inside also, no smell. I mean they are a wood product, so they do have wood smell.

Tom C.

Yuph, "wood smell" this is my point as well.
I have had too many sinus surgeries that have made my nose very sensitive to smells, and all pellets have a smell.
Spruce Pointes smell like pine sent, AWF smell like 2X4s, etc.

To the "wood smell" point yesterday I picked up a load of MWP in the car, and yuph they smelled like MWP. Later I went to a different store and picked up some Spruce Points, and this time I was surprised that the smell was very similar, but when I took a big up close wiff they smelled more like pine.

So I wish all pellets smelled like a freshly cut Christmas tree, but one can't have everything.
;-)

1D

We have had 8 tons stored in our basement over the last 2 Winters. No foul smell here.
The dealer we buy from gets the pellets directly from MWP.
He moves a lot of pellets so they sit outside for a short time before he delivers to customers.
Hope you get to the bottom of this!

I don't know if this helps, but I picked up my MWP from two different TSC in NE CT, and they both smell the same.

1D

I gotta bunch of the Granuels LGs and I gotta tell ya, I love that "woodsy" smell they have when you open the bag. Black Spruce and Grey Pine. I have used about 10 bags of the Maine Woods Pellets, the generic bag with the stove on it and did not notice anything but a pleasant wood smell. Not over bearing. One thing I will say was the pellets felt rather light, almost like balsa wood. But they burned hot and had no more ash than anything else I burned this year.

Damp pellets smell bad. I got a free bag from TSC because the bag was wet on the outside. I told him they were no good, he said try them. I threw them away because of the smell.

I just burned a bag of these purchased from TSC - the pellets do have a smell, stronger than most pellets, but I wouldn't say it's a chemical smell, just a strong woodsy odor.

slls said:
Damp pellets smell bad. I got a free bag from TSC because the bag was wet on the outside. I told him they were no good, he said try them. I threw them away because of the smell.

This may be true, but I'm still confused about if we are all talking about the same smell??

The smell that I'm talking about is the same smell that North American pellets have, but less powerful with the MWP brand.
As a matter of fact the North American pellets look very similar to the MWP.

I do know one thing, and that is neither of these brands that I have are "damp," for the both burn excellence in my stove.

1D

oldmountvernon said:
heat seeker said:
Okay, I sent TSC an email to see what they say. With all the support for MWP here, I am suspecting a problem after they left the factory. I will let you all know what happens. I'm sure MWP would want to know if there's a problem in shipping or storage, too.

Thanks to all!

ScotL from MWP will be here chiming in soon im sure, watch for him

Pell it just bought a ton yesterday too see what he has to say also

Like OMV stated, I just stuffed a new ton in the shed on Wednesday. I went in the shed today to sift a couple bags (of NEWP), to bring in the house, and I do notice a new odor in the shed. Same as I have smelled with all the test bags of MWP. I do not get any chemical smell, just a scorched wood type one. Almost like ripping a two by ten with a dull circ-saw blade and it burned a bit. I have not burned any out of the new ton so I can not speak for that yet. Just trying to burn through the last of my NEWP first!!

I do not mind the smell, reminds me of wood shop in H.S. It's much better than the wet, moldy two by four smell of some "other" brands!

***Disclaimer*** I am not implying that MWP uses two by tens or dull circular saws in the production of pellets! I find them to be one of the best "economical" choice pellets I have burned this year, and will be buying more!!

Since everyone seems to like MWP more than myself...

If anyone is in the Bangor, ME area I will sell what I have left for $3/bag.

Can't blame a guy for trying :)

blackbear219 said:
Since everyone seems to like MWP more than myself...

If anyone is in the Bangor, ME area I will sell what I have left for $3/bag.

Can't blame a guy for trying :)

I'm in Augusta and I'd buy them off of you for $3/bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.