My $13 Shoulder-Season Stove Modification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

branchburner

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2008
southern NH
Decided I wanted a smaller stove for the next month or two, so I went out and bought one for $13.50 and installed it in five minutes today. It was in the form of 9 firebricks @$1.50 (full 2-1/2" thick size). I owe a thank uuu to the artist~formerly~known~as~pook for the inspiration he provided as the odd man out (shocking!) in a recent thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/58789/

I stacked up three bricks (on edge) making a new 9" by 13.5" wall on each side of my firebox. This shortened its width from 21" to 16" to make it more efficient for smaller fires. (Too bad I had already brought in some 18" wood, but I have plenty of chunks and junks to burn.) Because I have a downdraft-type stove, I need a good bed of coals in the back center of the firebox to achieve secondary combustion. With the walls now closed in, as the shorter splits begin to coal they can no longer fall away to the sides and spread out on the floor of the firebox.

The other three bricks were used to make the floor of the firebox. Because I have a grate and ashpan, the hot coals tend to break up and fall through the grate, rather than build up into the thick coal bed I need. So with a nice cushion of ash below them, I centered the three bricks just below the grate and pushed right to the back of the stove, so there is no longer any air space there. I discovered the advantage of this by accident last winter after neglecting to empty the ashes - my coal bed formed more quickly, and lasted longer, with a deep pile of ash left below. I think this stove should have been designed with no ashpan.

So I reduced the volume of my firebox by about 15%, and added to the thermal mass of the stove by about 15%. But the area reduction of the rear half of my firebox floor, where it really counts for this type of downdraft stove, was by about 25%. And it really showed in my burn tonight: the coals, confined to a smaller area and unable to trickle down into the ashpan, built up very fast. I was able to close the bypass and burn smoke in record time, with no stalling!

Yep. If you observe how your stove works in the real world as opposed to how they had to make it work to pass the EPA emissions test you can learn a lot.

Nice. Got me wondering if some bricks on the floor might help me get hot fuel closer to the burn tubes for better secondaries with smaller fires....

midwestcoast said:
Nice. Got me wondering if some bricks on the floor might help me get hot fuel closer to the burn tubes for better secondaries with smaller fires....

Even though my stove is very different from the overhead tube/manifold type of stove, it would seem easy and cheap enough to reduce the firebox size of a burn-tube stove for better performance. Not that it would have huge practical significance, but I don't see why adding a layer of floor bricks and bringing a smaller fire closer to the tubes wouldn't allow for a cleaner, hotter burn in quick fires during shoulder season. A little more heat, a little less smoke and a little less wood used?

Glad that little modification worked for you. That is a cheap fix for sure.

Interesting how much it seems to change the dynamic of the stove. Noticed in today's fire the draft seemed super strong, got a nice secondary with a smaller fire, but the fire seemed to burn a little too quickly. I suppose it makes sense that if I reduced the firebox size without changing the amount of secondary air that enters, or the flue size, that the draft would seem proportionately stronger?

Anyway, it's fun messing around, but now it's too damn hot in here! The stove-grilled shrimp pretty much offsets that, however.

That's a good looking stove. Just wondered how many steaks you can get on the grill?

Grill is 7"x14", so not too many steaks, but boy, they come out good.

branchburner said:

What happens with the grease in those things? Always wondered.

BrotherBart said:
branchburner said:

What happens with the grease in those things? Always wondered.

Greasy smoke goes right up the stack. It's better than cooking outside on a charcoal grill, because the coal bed is hotter and the grill is further from the coals, so any little grease flareups don't reach far enough up to engulf the meat. It's pretty slick.

See third post in this thread - prepare to salivate: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/44302/

Status
Not open for further replies.