1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

My amazing new budget splitter !! Did I mention AMAZING!!!!!

Post in 'The Gear' started by Pallet Pete, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Are the savings worth the purchase ? I will be sure not to drink before the app! :)

Thanks pete

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    It depends how much you buy from them. They are advertising the splitter regularly at $129 and with the club membership its $89 so that one purchase would pay for the membership for a year. They send club members a flyer each month that has quite a few good deals in it.
  3. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Hmm think about this I must ! Thanks for the heads up.
    Pete
  4. snowleopard

snowleopard Minister of Fire

Actually, the splitting-sitting-on-a-milk-crate was just a variation on the let's-give-Dennis-a-hard-time thing.

But I am interested in the splitter, yes indeedy.
  5. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

HAHA nice :exclaim:

Ps
    Your words of extreme wisdom are now imortalized in my sig :lol:

Pete
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan

Easy there snowleopard..... Would you like me to send you a crate?
  7. DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Richmond, VA
    In recognition of Dennis' pioneering work in this area (and because my splitter only works in the horizontal position), I have been splitting lying down on milk crates.
  8. snowleopard

I.would.be.so.honored.
  9. snowleopard

no no no no no no no

you were supposed to put the SPLITTER in your sig line . . . . :eek:hh:
  10. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

It was already in there besides your words moved me to tear filled lauphter ! :lol:
    Pete
  11. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Well here is my review so far. I have used this splitter for some months now and can say it is a good splitter. It is used for the larger rounds 18" and up it works well to bust them in half so I can finish them off with my 4 ton electric Ryobi. The notty stuff is a challenge on occasion depending on the wood type but it seem to do the trick if you line the dry cracks with the wedge and then split. The speed is not really an issue because it has 2 speeds slow and fast. Most rounds split within the first 1/4 ram. Overall it has been a very big back saver for the big rounds because I can simply roll them onto it at ground level then ram them through into halves. I would say for the average homeowner who splits 4-5 cord a year this fits the bill perfectly it saves your back, space, and is easy on your wallet if money is an issue.

Pete
    mecreature likes this.
  12. mecreature

mecreature Minister of Fire

Loc:
    indiana
    Good to hear a review. Thanks for keeping us posted.
  13. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Looks like that splitter is right up my alley. I wonder what Harbor Freight will charge for it next season?
  14. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

15. firebroad

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    I have been using the WelBilt 8-ton vertical. Good splitter, but tough on the legs. I figure by the time I wear it out, I'll be ready to work on my biceps.==c
  16. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Good lord Sue that thing looks exhausting you must have legs of steel by now;lol Can you take the foot pedal off and attach a bar to it so you can lay it down? Yours looks very similar to mine aside from the foot pedal.

Pete
  17. firebroad

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Gotta say I THOUGHT about it, Pete! But I figure I don't get enough walking in, so what the hey...Actually, this begs a question about the Greyhound--do you need both arms to work it hard? I have a lyphedema risk in my left, so I have to go easy on that side. That is why I got the foot pedal, as opposed to trying to learn to split the old fashioned way. If I can use just one arm for muscle and the gimp one for balance, no prob.
  18. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Very rarely do I need both arms to use the splitter. My wife on the other hand does use both so I suppose it has more to do with how much muscle you have than anything. Usually the piece cracks on the slow ram then you pump the fast handle and it goes through easily.

Pete
  19. firebroad

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Sounds like something I will look into. Only, I will get it down in Parkville as I am too cheap to pay shipping AND tax...;hm
  20. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Get a men's magazine not dirty just outdoors fishing and the like anyway lol they have 20% off coupons in them for harbor freight. Not sure what kind of stores you have but any with magazines and look inside for the one with the coupon. The lady at harbor freight told me about that so I went to meijer and they had one so I bought the magazine for $3 and saved $28 on my last purchase.

Pete
  21. DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Richmond, VA
    AARP magazine, Discover, and many others have Harbor Freight 20%-off coupons all the time. I just got back from HF about 2 hours ago. I got a Gopher Grabber (online price about $10 plus $5 shipping), 2 pairs of ear protection headsets (sound attenuators), and a digital mulitmeter. Including tax, total was $12.50. I took advantage of their sale prices on the Grabber and the headsets, used a 20% coupon on the Grabber, and got the multimeter free with another HF coupon.

Hard to beat. I keep the ear protection everywhere I have power equipment: basement, garage, cabin. I'm too lazy to walk far, but will use it if it's handy.
  22. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    (insert sarcastic tone) Wow, that looks WAY easier than splitting with an axe. . .
  23. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Big Red it is much easier for big rounds then slamming an axe or maul all day. Believe me you can feel the difference at the end of the day. Besides as I said I use it to split the large rounds in HALF not all the way from there I can finish them with my 4 ton electric.

Pete
  24. firebroad

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Thanks Pete, I will look at the "Men's" mags next time(didn't know hunting and fishing were for men, but that's another discussion) I am at the store. Dawgone it Dan, I just threw one of Dad's AARP magazines away.
    Big Red, some of us are slightly handicapped(read inept) and can't swing a maul worth spit. Yeah, these manual splitters take a little more time, its worth a toe or two to me.==c
  25. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Good luck Sue I hope you find the coupons ! Around here the section is called men's magazines on the stands that's what I am referring to lol. I also noticed the other day the Dr. Office had some field and stream magazines and there was one in it they let me have ! Just a thought.

Pete