1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

My basement wood pile

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by ikessky, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ikessky

ikessky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. woodburn

woodburn Member

Loc:
    Long Island, New York
    Wow, that's impressive. Loading will be ridiculously easy- just turn, grab, and toss in. I would be a bit concerned about bringing in pests storing that much wood in the house for such long periods.
  3. johnsopi

johnsopi Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MD near DE&PA;
    I don't think I would want my wood pile in the basement. None of the bugs will go dorment.
  4. ikessky

ikessky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    Some of it's been in for a few weeks and I haven't noticed any bugs. I can tolerate a few extra bugs when I'm getting free heat though.
  5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Loc:
    Central Illinois
    Daka, right?

I keep wood in the basement but not nearly that much.
  6. ikessky

ikessky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    Yep, it's a Daka. Three wires and few lengths of duct and I'm ready to start burning!

I may build an overhang off the back of the house and store wood under there next year. It would be nice to not have so much space tied up with wood so I could put my freezers in that room. We'll see how much wood I actually go through this year. I guess that will be the tell tale sign of how big of an overhang/shed I really have to build.
  7. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Hi Ike, yeah I think you'll be very happy with a lean-to off the back of the house.

I'd be very leary about bring in that much wood into the basement so close to the stove...ya know how wood sheds as you handle it over time, it can create a perfect kindling environment between those log that could conceal sparks throw from inside the fire plant door. But those elevated wood racks ya buy at HD/Lowes that held 1/3 face cord would provide 3-4 days heat for you and you could clean under 'em too.
  8. ikessky

ikessky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    That's why I like this site! People here have a genuine care for the safety and well being of other members. I appreciate that just as much as the expert advice that I've gotten and gleaned from this forum.

Perhaps the picture angle is decieving, but I over did the minimum clearances to combustables that the manual stated. It called for 48" from the front of the furnace to combustables. If I remember correctly, I could still have another pile and still meet this requirement, but I decided it would be best to leave it as is. I'm going to try to get 2-3 more cords behind the house. I really have no idea how much I will end up going through, but it's not like I can't use it next year!
  9. mayhem

mayhem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Peru, MA
    I store about 1.5-2 cords of wood in my basement...no bug or pest issues at all. I took the precaustion of tossing out a handful of those little ant trap things...not sure if I just have no problem or if they help keep it under control.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.